Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:49:47 -0500
From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Question about Outlook and base_64 encoded attachments
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:09:13 +0100
Frits Westra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>> From MS Outlook users I sometimes receive attachments with
> headers that contain the following lines (example):
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> Content-Disposition: attachment;
> filename="FRmagaz4.eps"
> The header is followed by an attachment that has not been
> base_64 encoded.
> How can I instruct an Outlook user to send me a file as a
> base_64 encoded attachment? I'm asking this since I've never
> used Outlook.
If you have never used Outlook, then you should rejoice and be
exceedingly glad!
In my experience I have found that the average Outlook user
doesn't even know that attachments are sent and received in
some kind of encoded form. If I talk to them about the way
they encode their attachments they simply deny the fact that
they encode them in any way at all. It is really sad that
they are so ignorant. The average Outlook user is so stupid
that he doesn't even know what an attachment looks like. I
could send an Outlook user an attachment containing a virus
and he will click on it thinking that it is just the name of
a URL where he can view pictures of my party. People who get
infected with this virus keep sending the same thing out
unknowingly to everybody on their mailing list. They are so
incredibly stupid! If you can't even get an Outlook user to
understand and realize the fact that they encode their
attachments in any way at all, then there is no point in trying
to ask them to encode their attachments in some alternate format.
If Outlook users only knew what an attachment looks like, then
none of them would have ever been so stupid as to allow their
computers to become infected with the MyParty Virus.
Sam Heywood
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************