I have seen neither the show nor the catalogue, so I of course I cannot offer an
evaluation of those.

But it seemed to me that Inke Arns's comments were more about courtesy (and the
lack thereof) than a diatribe against rip-offs. John Young's response veer more
closely toward the platitudinous than Inke Arns's "diatribe."  For example, the
following, which was posted as its own paragraph:

> No artist deserves anything except what they can beg, borrow and steal.

Sure, but that doesn't seem to address Inke Arns's main point. The issue at
hand,
as described in the original post, is the fact that the curators--who as
members of
a profession supposedly in the business of giving credit--didn't share the
wealth
of attention, not as convention or justice dictates, but rather as simple
courtesy.

Rip offs happen, but you can do it nicely by passing on the rewards of that
which
you freely used, or you can be a dink about it. If one decides that the latter
is
the case, then a little reputation-bashing (very different than belly-aching)
may
be in order. That is part of the game, too, you know--ie the way things are.

To me, the more substantive question is what evidence of intention exists. As
described, the catalogue's failings might not even be attributable to the
curators,
but rather to a book designer who, for example, took liberties by separating
texts
from author's names. Also, as grounds for criticism, the fact that the book is
being commercially distributed means little. When was the last time an
exhibition
catalogue made money?

To sum it up, while I can agree that there are problems with Inke Arns's post,
and
that publicly calling out a curatorial team and the host institution in fact
may be
premature in this case, none of that has anything to do with complaints about
appropriation being a standard practice.

Part of the reason I took an interest in the original post is because it turns
out
that I will be in Linz at the museum next week, and perhaps will see the
catalogue.
Maybe I'll change my mind....

Dan w.

#  more info: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and "info nettime-l" in the msg body