Reading the report—shd I call it that?—I kept thinking of Bataille: the impact
of facing up to, or facing down images of extreme violence, sexuality, or
sexual violence. Bataille’s contemplation of the image of the 100 cuts
(so-called). But without the space or time for contemplation and the creation
of meaning or the experience of the lack of it,  the experience of the content
moderator can only be numbing and deeply damaging. Like Alex in A Clockwork
Orange after he has been subjected to aversion therapy. But without the
personal melodrama. I can only wonder what the average longevity in their job
is of the content moderator. Wd the digital natives fare any better than the
digital immigrants who have had experience of “the real”?

Keith Sanborn