Hi Florian, thanks to you and Angela Nagle for the fascinating discussion in
Berlin.. I wish I had been present but at least we have the recording..

I take your point that you and Angela soon took the conversation away from
sub-cultures and as you indicate in the paragraph below the focus is very much
on transgression rather than sub-cultures per se, you wrote:

> If my memory doesn't fail me too badly, then both Angela Nagle and me tried
> to focus more on the subject matter of transgression. Transgression isn't
> exclusive to what is conventionally called "subculture" at all, but a
> leitmotif in modernist and contemporary arts, in social, political, sexual
> and media activism, to name only the most prominent areas. What both of us
> tried to reconstruct is how transgression has never been an exclusive
> property of the political left, but has been propagated and practiced on both
> extremes of the political spectrum, or - better said - in discourses whose
> politics were, often intentionally, ambivalent. Here, we both referred to
> Sade as a forerunner (whose ambivalence of enlightenment and its other had
> already been analyzed in Adorno's and Horkheimer's "Dialectic of
> Enlightenment).

The main point of transgression not being the property of the left or
neccesarily the source of a progressive direction of travel is clear.
But actually I think that Angela goes further than you when at a certain point
in the discussion when she asks:

"So the question for me on the sub-cultures question; are we to conclude that
subcultures itself is just a neutral thing and that it can take on any
political form?” My guess is her answer would be no...In the discussion you
don’t take her up on this point..

 My guess is that her position is that transgression is not neutral but to be
avoided is something Iconclude because in her book she argues that the
fetishisation of transgression culminates in the 1960s counter-culture of
Altamont and the Manson Murders which she asserts is the “logical culmination
of throwing off the shackles of conscience and consciousness, the grim
flowering of the id’s voodoo energies”. I suspect that the rise of the altright
with
all its occultist overtones (Kek etc) confirms this bias for her.

I am interested in whether you are on the same page on this question as Angela
on this..  ?

This is not a trivial question as the kind of answers we might give to this
question will have profound effects on the way we do politics.

Best

David