we still don't know what happened with B737 Max 8 but this thread seemed as
a good one to post references about the machines, automation, people and
disasters..

some people some time ago thought and felt that technical innovations
should be first made comprehensible in order to convince people to buy
them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc

it took me some time to find what i remembered and what i needed for
explaining the concept of techno-cultural moment (totally different story
but nvm) and those were the two blog posts jean-louis gassée, once cto of
apple and later the founder of beos, after the scandal, around 2010, with
prius abs brakes software accelerating the car at the moment when it was
supposed to break. ups. (some blog posts one remembers for almost a
decade...)

mondaynote.com went through few major redesigns in last 12 years.. none of
the advanced searches helped to find it in the archives.. only after a
while i realized i could go to wikipedia to check out *when* the scandal
happened and then go back hoping gassée was writing about it when it was in
the news.. and he did.. archive.org did a good job in archiving and
timestamping it...

here are the two blog posts:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100416043943/http://www.mondaynote.com/2010/02/07/soft-brakes-on-the-prius/
summarize: braking isn’t braking anymore, especially in a hybrid. Hitting
the brake pedal triggers software processes that involve optimizing kinetic
energy recovery while maintaining safety and comfort in a wide range of
circumstances, including slippery roads and panic braking. [..] The brake
system and engine braking software has been “improved”, yielding better
kinetic energy recovery by sacrificing some “classical” braking
performance.)

http://web.archive.org/web/20100519034751/http://www.mondaynote.com/2010/03/14/software-and-brakes-part-ii/
(this
one is on car differential (great explanation in the video pasted above)..
"Over time, “resolution” has increased everywhere: sensors capture more
delicate nuances, actuators offer finer control steps, software models of
car motion become more detailed and Moore’s Law makes electronics less
expensive. That’s why all modern cars feature some permutation of the
devices we just discussed. This annoys some drivers who think it deprives
them of fun, of the opportunity to sharpen and demonstrate their driving
skills.")