NFTs don't strike me as intrinsically interesting, but the seeming inability of conventional leftish/academic to address them *is* interesting. I'd be hard-pressed to think of another time when it seemed so clear that the force of criticism has been *to categorize* — that is, to dispense with the rough edges of specificity in order file something away as quickly as possible and reaffirm the big picture. That's not without its benefits; for example, it can spin off all kinds of erudition. But it shouldn't be hard to do all that *and also* acknowledge that some curious new spaces might be opening up. It seems to me that that victory of more or less disciplinary self-regard over the raw potential of things is pretty much a case study in performativity. And, like a lot of performativity these days, it feels less than promising.

Here are three articles on the subject that I thought were worth the time. Just retweeting, not endorsing, as they say. But when a supermodel is doing tactical media that's far more compelling than all of nettime combined, and writing about it in ways that radiate relevance to issues that are (let's say) less 'pale, male, and stale,' it's time for a rethink.

Links below, obv.

Cheers,
Ted
---

(1) How many layers of copyright infringement are in Emily Ratajkowski’s new NFT? Ratajkowski trolls an art troll

        Jacob Kastrenakes
        Apr 24, 2021

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/24/22399790/emily-ratajkowski-nft-christies-copyright-nightmare-richard-prince

👉🏼 note the link to her essay "Buying Myself Back When does a model own her own image?" (Sept. 15, 2020)

https://www.thecut.com/article/emily-ratajkowski-owning-my-image-essay.html

(2) The Downward Spiral: Popular Things
        Dean Kissick
        (n.d.)

https://www.spikeartmagazine.com/articles/downward-spiral-popular-things-dean-kissick

(3) The One Redeeming Quality of NFTs Might Not Even Exist
        Kal Raustiala and Christopher Jon Sprigman
        April 14, 2021

https://slate.com/technology/2021/04/nfts-digital-art-authenticity-problem.html

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org