There are certainly important questions to be asked about the ways in which the
science is being framed and sometimes manipulated at a time when ‘knowledge’ is
increasingly being seen as central in what we take democratic politics to be.
Boris Johnson’s original attachment to the ‘herd immunity’ (famously declaring
let the bodies pile high) was being justified at the time as “guided by the
science”.

Richard Horton, the editor of the respected medical journal the Lancet, worried
that “the relationship between the scientific advisers and politicians in the
early phase of the epidemic was strangely collusive”. And James Wilsdon,
(professor of research policy at Sheffield University) has been arguing for
some time that “The entire science advisory system feels as if it has been
fundamentally – perhaps fatally – compromised by the pandemic.”

I don’t know how the data was communicated in the Netherlands but I certainly
shared Wilsdon’s discomfort that from the very first moment I saw those press
conferences “with Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance, the
Government Chief Scientific Advisor, flanking the Prime Minister” [like a pair
of praetorian guards] “which rang all sorts of alarm bells, in terms of lines
of accountability and the blurring of the distinction between advice and
decision-making.”.

These questions will only increase in importance as we move into a new
political phase where the science behind of net zero target will become the new
frontline of politics..

David Garcia