dear nettimers,

Like the conflict in Ukraine, the recent flood of commentaries and analyses on
nettime (and elsewhere) has been overwhelming, and given this it seemed so far
difficult to add anything more astute and articulate than what has passed here
so far. Speaking as I assume for many, first of all my gratitude for seeing a
discussion here, which seems to lack sufficient depth elsewhere. Obviously I
have very little to add to these analyses.

One thing that very much annoyed me in the early stages of the invasion,
though, was a superficial resurgence of the notion of ‘tactical media’ in
various online and offline exclamations. Predictable in a situation of
immediate crisis, and understandable as an innate impulse, but it felt out of
place. My own feeling about that at the time (having dealt with the notion of
tactical media quite a bit over the years, although I did not coin the term nor
named the associated practices as such) tactical media seemed to have failed or
missed its place and time of action at the very moment the rockets started to
hit targets and tanks rolled over the Ukrainian border - or rather when an 8
year regional war escalated into a full scale military invasion and nation-wide
war in the country.

Intuitively it felt tactical media had a role to play exactly to prevent such
armed conflict, prevent the legitimisation of large scale (military) violence
as a means of politics, and enhance the kind of checks and balances,
distribution of powers, establish counter-hegemonial mechanisms, support open
governance structures all aimed at avoiding (the possibility of) these forms of
armed conflict. Thus, when this violent conflict then nonetheless erupted it
seemed to me that tactical media had failed (along with all other
counter-hegemonial practices), and that it had little if no role to play in the
immediacy of the conflict.

In private conversation David Garcia, however, reminded me of the fact that my
idea of tactical media here was too narrow in this take on current events. Too
narrow in the sense of being too narrowly aligned with an emancipatory ideal of
progressive politics  - one could phrase it more Latourian as too narrowly
focussed on the ‘progressive composition of the good common world’ (his
political ideal from The Politics of Nature onwards, which includes of course
non-human politics, but is certainly contradicted by this regressive conduct of
war). Instead we would need to acknowledge that tactical media has been very
much alive and productive, but in the service of reactionary and to some extent
hyper-violent politics and regressive forms of popular mobilisation. In which
we also include the strategic operationalisation of the tactical in media by
the well-known Russian troll-farms and other strategic initiatives, as much as
populist political movements in Europe, the US and elsewhere - that whole story
is well known.

So then what has failed is a ‘progressive’ counter-hegemonial understanding of
tactical media. The qualities of the nomadic, the temporary interventions, the
tactical operations on the terrains of strategic power, the ephemeral character
of tactical media, hit and run tactics, quick and dirty interventions and
aesthetics – all this seems powerless and utterly impotent vis-a-vis the
violent brutality of this unleashed military machine.

Thinking this through a bit further, it seemed that the temporal scale or
scales of tactical media is where one of its main problems lie and where the
‘classic’ notion of tactical media seems to fail current conditions. A better
way to think this is first to assume that it is both too late and too early for
tactical media to play any significant role in the Ukraine conflict. Of course
the witness reports keep flowing from countless citizen’s camera’s, and this is
highly significant. But as Felix Stalder already concluded many years ago  - a
huge number of people have become involved in something which could be labeled
as tactical media, but those people would overwhelmingly not think of tactical
media as they are doing it. The vast majority will simply never have heard the
term and thus be unaware of any of its previous experiences and the critical
discussions they evoked.

It is, however, not besides the point to think this through and try to connect
our current experiences to those made earlier. Not just to understand the
current conditions and dynamics (which the discussions on nettime f.i. do
brilliantly) but especially to consider how to engage these conditions and
dynamics – right now. The temporality of tactical media, its focus on the
immediacy of the event, its inextricable origins within the event in question
(’tactical media never report, they always participate’ - Lovink & Garcia - The
ABC of Tactical Media, 1997), is simultaneously its greatest strength and its
greatest limitation. What a conscious and critical articulation of this problem
can do is help us formulate better possible engagements that transcend this
temporal logic of immediacy.

Beyond the tactical in media / beyond the temporal logic of immediacy

So then the main question I’m trying to articulate (and this is of course
entirely preliminary and sketchy / up for debate) is at what temporal scale the
tactical practices of media as identified by the idea of tactical media can
become meaningful for a counter-hegemonial politics and a productive engagement
of atrocities that are being perpetrated in Ukraine right now?

Perhaps the most obvious and immediate thing to recognise is that what Ukraine
is going through right now is not that dissimilar to other recent experiences
in other countries that have faced large scale military and violent conflict,
and / or still do while this conflict is raging on. For me the most immediate
parallel that comes to mind is the hyper-violent conflict in Syria, which is
far from over or settled. Also in Syria we see many of the same actors active
in the space of that war, various Nato countries, the Russian army, proxy
fighters (Hezbollah and others), etc etc.. The role of tactical media in the
Syrian conflict has at first been mostly limited to the media operations of
islamic state, which produced some of the most effective tactical media
operations in decades - drawing in supporters from many other regions into the
hyper-violent conflict there.

Also in Syria citizen reports have played an important role in getting
information in and out of the conflict areas, and more organised media
initiatives approximated similar formats to what we saw in the 1990s during the
break up of Yugoslavia - I’m thinking here f.i. about the Raqqa is Being
Slaughtered Silently project and others. However, as important as all these
initiatives may be the project to come out of that horrible conflict that seems
to offer something of a different temporal scope and with that a different
efficacy as a counter-hegemonial force might be the Syrian Archive (
https://syrianarchive.org/en/about <https://syrianarchive.org/en/about> ).

The archive exists to collect citizen reports and other forms of ‘forensic’
evidence to build material proof for future legal proceedings against the
perpetrators of the worst atrocities in Syria. There is a long and critical
debate to be had about how the project is structured, its funding structure,
embeddedness in international NGO networks, its attachment to the notion of
‘human rights’ which gives it the possibility to connect to transnational legal
frameworks, etc etc For the moment this is not the dimension of the project I
want to focus on. What I find interesting and possibly productive also for the
conflict in Ukraine is the expanded temporal scope of the Syrian Archive.

During our 2017 Tactical Media Connections event in Amsterdam we spoke to two
of the originators of the Syrian Archive and they presented the project at Eye
Film Museum at the time - see: http://www.tacticalmediafiles.net/events/39710
<http://www.tacticalmediafiles.net/events/39710> and the video recording of
that discussion: http://www.tacticalmediafiles.net/videos/45066/
<http://www.tacticalmediafiles.net/videos/45066/>

At that point very little actual materials had as yet been collected and
verified for inclusion into the archive - but the aims of the project were
clear. At the time I also thought it was a really worthwhile idea, but I had
little confidence that this initiative would actually succeed in collecting and
verifying sufficient material from the Syrian conflict, let alone ‘prosecute’
on the basis of this material in which ever legal framework. However, over time
the archive has steadily grown and has broadened its mission to “positively
contribute to post-conflict reconstruction and stability”. The idea is also to
develop open source tools and “providing a transparent and replicable
methodology for collecting, preserving, verifying and investigating visual
documentation in conflict areas.”, which is an on-going process.

The most important thing right now in Ukraine is that the fighting should stop,
and it should stop immediately. Realistically that will not immediately happen,
and as long as fighting and associated atrocities and tragedies continue, it
might make a lot of sense to build on other experiences and already now think
in timeframes that exceed the immediacy of current events.

Documentation and verification, going through ‘due process’, all these things
that require so much time - time that we all feel we do not have while the
fighting continues and people massively suffer, not just in Ukraine, but also
in Syria and unfortunately many other places, might nonetheless help us to
counter the barrage of strategically operated tactical media in the service of
reactionary political agendas, hegemonial power and hyper-violence, and the
epistemological crisis that we have been thrown in as a result of massive
disinformation strategies.

So, whatever media activity is happening on the ground right now in Ukraine,
which we could label as ’tactical’, ‘participatory’ (rather than observing from
the outside), coming from within the ‘operational terrain’, can start to play a
role on more extended timescales. The Syrian Archive offers a model for that,
plus tools and methods, but of course there can be others, and new ones can and
probably must be invented. All this requires to expand the critical time frame,
the temporal scope of our analyses - not just to ask where did this conflict
come from (geopolitics etc..), but primarily what kind of possible future
trajectories can be engaged with.

Next to this we need to think through and begin the painfully slow process opf
building appropriate political structures that avoid the type of conflicts we
are now horrified by. In other words we need urgently get back to the
progressive composition of the good common world, and free ourselves from being
trapped in the immediacy of these horrific events.  That requires a much
expanded temporal scale to think and act on - as painful and difficult that may
be while the hypersonic rockets strike ever father to the west….

Stay safe,
Eric

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org