Yes to "I find the link with Protestant ethics, a spiral of
purity, an interesting angle."
I will take an historically well known episode of that ethic : prohibition.

I not consume much alcohol. I mostly hate the effect it has on the attitude
of people beyond a quite low threshold.
But I think most will agree that the prohibition was an awful social
experiment.
But it did not prevent the "war on drugs". But in the latter case there is
a strong argument that it was introduced with full awareness of the
negative consequences, and that they were the true motivation.

I do not know if the advocates of doing this new moral push top down are
aware of the probable major side effect : a even greater inability to
communicate between "left" and "right"; and probably a further splintering
of the "left".

You can propose new ways of expression, if they take hold it's all good.
Imposing them is mostly counter-productive.

--

Frederic