On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 12:24 +0100, Tomislav Vujec wrote:
> I think some applications might care, e.g. email client. My usage pattern
> looks like this:
> 1) Connect to the Internet
> 2) If I am in the company LAN, go to step 4
> 3) connect to the VPN
> 4) Sync my email
> Now NM removes the requirement on doing the step 1 manually. While I would
> like to keep the opportunity to run step 3 manually, I would still like to
> avoid having to perform step 4 manually, if there is a way for an

Colin Walters and I have talked about a configurable server that you
could "ping" (like some internal server that you can't get to from
outside) that would identify whether or not you're on the company LAN.
Other than that, we could do something based on DHCP reply (ie if you're
given an IP address in a specific range or the nameservers/DNS-search-
name are somethign specific, then your on the internal network).

> application to receive this notice. Imagine evolution plug which would
> automatically switch an email account to online / offline, based on the
> specific VPN availability.

Evolution should be getting online/offline support for NetworkManager at
some future point, but the problem is that Evolution doesn't really have
an "offline now" state.  What Evo does is to signal each plugin  that
its /going/ offline soon, and when each plugin has repsonded OK, then it
goes offline.  That's fine for syncing your mail, but if the cable is
pulled you're /already/ offline, and you don't want Evolution to sit
there and try to sync your mail when you're already offline.  This is a
core assumption throughout evolution and its plugin structure, and isn't
easily changed.  The second idea is to just make Evolution not check for
new messages when NetworkManager says you're offline, but that's a hack
and the only thing it solves is the annoying dialog that pops up when it
tries to check the mail and can't contact the server.

Dan