I removed the first patch from dhcpcd.c and applied the patch to buildmsg.c. It works. Here is what ethereal shows

324 UDP data & PAD_STOP
 +8  UDP header
= 332 UDP total
     +20 IP header
= 352 UDPIP
 +14 Ethernet header
= 366 total

I tried

#define PAD_STOP        304

and it also works

304 UDP data & PAD_STOP
 +8  UDP header
= 312 UDP total
     +20 IP header
= 332 UDPIP
 +14 Ethernet header
= 346 total

This is where you were before you deep-sixed the client id stuff. I think 304 suffices. This has padded with 15 bytes over what you had before the patch.

I tried PAD_STOP 290 which is just a pad of 1 byte.

290 UDP data & PAD_STOP
 +8  UDP header
= 298 UDP total
     +20 IP header
= 318 UDPIP
 +14 Ethernet header
= 332 total

This did not work so it is more than just having even values for these various sizes.

Dan Williams wrote:

Bill,

Can you apply this patch to current CVS copy of NM? It changes dhcpcd/buildmsg.c only. It now pads the message to over 300 bytes and ensures that the message is always an even number of bytes long.

Thanks,
Dan

I think older hardware may reject messages that are too short. The UDP part of the message contains a BOOTP section of options and there was a time when BOOTP messages had a minimize size of 300 bytes. If this is what the SMC is doing, the a message with a UDP part of 297 bytes will not pass muster. This is just a guess. I suppose you can pad the message one byte at a time and see where the boundary is. I am betting on 300 or 312.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences