On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 08:49 -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 11:02 +0100, Thomas Haller wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-03-05 at 12:10 -0800, Ali Nematollahi wrote:
> > > Hi guys
> > >

> > > I am trying to use apt-get to install NM on my TI distribution of
> > > Linux. It installs everything fine, and I have the systemd and dbus
> > > all installed.
> > > When I try to start the NM after the installation is over, it comes
> > > back with the following error message:
> >
> > What is TI?
> >

> > > NetworkManagerFailed to read classid file: Object not found
> >
> > How do you try to start NetworkManager? Where do you see this message?
> > Is there some context around this message?
> >
> > If you use systemd, then you would normally start NetworkManager via
> > systemd.
> >
> > What gives
> >
> >   systemctl status NetworkManager
> >

> > > I can't figure out what that means and I haven't been able to find any
> > > info on the web that could fix the problem. I can't get the NM to work
> > > and I'm really stuck trying to figure it out. I might be missing a
> > > library or something. Can someone help me troubleshoot this please?
> >
> > apt-get should install all the required libraries. Unless there is a
> > problem with your distribution or these packages.
>
> This message appears to come from libnl3, actually.  See classid_init()
> and rtnl_tc_read_classid_file(), I think it's looking
> for /etc/libnl/classid.  Do you have that file?  You might need to
> configure libnl3 with the right --prefix and --sysconfdir.
>
> Thomas, maybe this warning should be downgraded to a debug or something?

that happens on upstream libnl for a while now:

https://github.com/thom311/libnl/commit/23c4ef67c735813fd41f66f6722b996d1ad7314a

Anyway, the message is harmless then.

> it comes back with the following error message:
>
>NetworkManagerFailed to read classid file: Object not found

that sounds like NetworkManager just deamonizes as expected. Normally,
you would not start NetworkManager directly via /sbin/NetworkManager.

First make sure that the manually started NM is not running, by

  $ killall NetworkManager

Then you start it via systemd
  $ systemctl start NetworkManager

Thomas