Hi Dan,

On Thu, October 1, 2015 12:49 pm, Dan Williams wrote:

> Yes, you need a matching ifcfg file for the base interface.  So you need
> both ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth0:0.  See the examples, eg ifcfg-aliasem0
> and ifcfg-aliasem0:1.
>
> The alias file should only have DEVICE and IPADDR fields; and DEVICE
> must match that of the parent ifcfg file.  They are intimately tied
> together in the old initscripts, and the ifcfg-rh plugin remains
> compatible with those.
>
> When NetworkManager sees the base file, it will also look for alias
> files, and will add the IP address from the alias file to the main
> connection's IP address list along with the label.  So even with two
> ifcfg files, you will only have one connection and you should see *both*
> IP addresses in that one connection.  When the connection is activated,
> NM sends the label to the kernel, so /sbin/ip will show both addresses
> on one interface, but /sbin/ifconfig will show two interfaces each with
> one address, per its ignorance of the real situation.

Apparently this still isn't working.  I did the following:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
UUID=3a02edd8-e82d-4dca-a336-933e9177f4cd
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=00:1f:7b:b2:14:42
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=no
NAME=eth0
# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1
DEVICE=eth0:1
IPADDR=192.168.x.y

and after an nmcli con reload it still doesn't provide the alias address.
Nor after a reboot.

I'm sur I'm still missing *something* but I'm at a loss now.

> Dan

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com