On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 23:52 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Bjørn Mork <bj...@mork.no> writes:
> > Dan Williams <d...@redhat.com> writes:
> > > On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 22:51 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> > >
> > > My vote would be sysfs, with values "raw-ip" or "802.3" that you
> > > can
> > > read and write to the file.  At least then they are human
> > > -readable.
> > >  It's also easier to use from scripts than parsing ethtool
> > > output.
> >
> > Maybe even easier with a boolean qmi/raw_ip file, since we are only
> > going
> > to offer two alternatives anyway?  Then you don't have to figure
> > out
> > what strings are accepted, and we won't end up having to parse
> > 'raw-ip/rawip/raw_ip/rwa-ip/rawIP/etc'.
>
> Including a demo patch (not tested...) to illustrate what I mean:
>
>  $ cat /sys/class/net/wwan1/qmi/raw_ip
>  # echo Y >/sys/class/net/wwan1/qmi/raw_ip
>
> etc

Well, if we're going to add rawip support, why bother emulating a
netdev at all?  I guess because it's convenient and we don't have to
destroy the existing wwan0 and create some other tun-type device
instead.  But still, seems odd that we'd set raw-ip mode and then
emulate ethernet when all that's really going back and forth is IP.

Dan