On Fri, 2016-09-16 at 22:04 -0500, Alex Ferm wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
>      I have run into a problem with NetworkManager and ModemManager, 
> where NetworkManager fails to complete the connection due to an
> "invalid 
> bearer IP configuration". In this state, ModemManager shows the modem
> as 
> connected with 2 bearers, and one of them has an unknown IPv4 
> configuration. I have many devices running the same configuration,
> and I 
> have seen this multiple times. I don't know what is causing this, but
> it 
> appears to happen most frequently when the RTC of the device is set 
> improperly, or doesn't keep time without power. I can fairly
> regularly 
> reproduce the issue by setting the hardware clock to a time in the
> past 
> and rebooting or power-cycling the host. I have devices with the
> same 
> software configuration using a different modem (an MC7750) and I
> have 
> never seen, or been able to cause this issue with that modem. Logs
> and 
> some digging from the command-line are shown below.

ModemManager is sending the wrong bearer object path for the
disconnected/failed bearer which is what's messing up NM here.  Is
there any chance you have (or can get?) ModemManager --debug logs from
when the problem happens?

Dan

> 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------- 
> NetworkManager Logs 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------
> 
> Sep 16 21:33:37 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  Auto-
> activating 
> connection 'Verizon'.
> Sep 16 21:33:37 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> Activation: starting connection 'Verizon' 
> (8868b767-a938-4096-9b90-9a1bebb398f9)
> Sep 16 21:33:37 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40
> 0]
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <warn>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> disconnecting connection 'Verizon' for new activation request.
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: prepare -> deactivating (reason 'new-
> activation') 
> [40 110 60]
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> disconnecting for new activation request.
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: deactivating -> disconnected (reason 
> 'new-activation') [110 30 60]
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> Activation: starting connection 'Verizon' 
> (8868b767-a938-4096-9b90-9a1bebb398f9)
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40
> 0]
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1):
> modem 
> state changed, 'enabling' --> 'registered' (reason: user-requested)
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1):
> modem 
> state changed, 'registered' --> 'connecting' (reason: user-requested)
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1):
> modem 
> state changed, 'connecting' --> 'registered' (reason: user-requested)
> Sep 16 21:33:38 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1):
> modem 
> state changed, 'registered' --> 'connecting' (reason: user-requested)
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1):
> modem 
> state changed, 'connecting' --> 'connected' (reason: user-requested)
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <warn>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> failed to connect modem: invalid bearer IP configuration
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: prepare -> failed (reason 'config-failed') [40
> 120 4]
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <warn>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> Activation: failed for connection 'Verizon'
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1):
> modem 
> state changed, 'connected' --> 'disconnecting' (reason: user-
> requested)
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30
> 0]
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1):
> modem 
> state changed, 'disconnecting' --> 'connected' (reason: user-
> requested)
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: (NetworkManager:224): 
> NetworkManager-wwan-CRITICAL **: modem_prepare_result: assertion
> 'state 
> == NM_DEVICE_STATE_PREPARE' failed
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  Auto-
> activating 
> connection 'Verizon'.
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> Activation: starting connection 'Verizon' 
> (8868b767-a938-4096-9b90-9a1bebb398f9)
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40
> 0]
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <warn>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> failed to connect modem: invalid bearer IP configuration
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: prepare -> failed (reason 'config-failed') [40
> 120 4]
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <warn>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> Activation: failed for connection 'Verizon'
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30
> 0]
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  Auto-
> activating 
> connection 'Verizon'.
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> Activation: starting connection 'Verizon' 
> (8868b767-a938-4096-9b90-9a1bebb398f9)
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40
> 0]
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <warn>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> failed to connect modem: invalid bearer IP configuration
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: prepare -> failed (reason 'config-failed') [40
> 120 4]
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <warn>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> Activation: failed for connection 'Verizon'
> Sep 16 21:33:39 localhost NetworkManager[224]: <info>  (cdc-wdm1): 
> device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30
> 0]
> 
> 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------- 
> Command Line Introspection 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------
> 
> console@localhost:~$ nmcli d
> DEVICE    TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION
> eth0      ethernet  connected     eth0-DHCP
> cdc-wdm1  gsm       disconnected  --
> lo        loopback  unmanaged     --
> console@localhost:~$ mmcli -m 0
> 
> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 (device id 
> 'dba163d88766f89690dde112e66dd89239d2af9d')
>    -------------------------
>    Hardware |   manufacturer: 'Sierra Wireless, Incorporated'
>             |          model: 'MC7354'
>             |       revision: 'SWI9X15C_05.05.58.01 r27044 
> carmd-fwbuild1 2015/03/05 00:02:40'
>             |      supported: 'gsm-umts
>             |                  cdma-evdo
>             |                  lte
>             |                  cdma-evdo, gsm-umts
>             |                  gsm-umts, lte
>             |                  cdma-evdo, lte
>             |                  cdma-evdo, gsm-umts, lte'
>             |        current: 'cdma-evdo, gsm-umts, lte'
>             |   equipment id: 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
>    -------------------------
>    System   |         device: 
> '/sys/devices/platform/ocp/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-
> hdrc.1.auto/usb1/1-1'
>             |        drivers: 'qmi_wwan, option1'
>             |         plugin: 'Generic'
>             |   primary port: 'cdc-wdm1'
>             |          ports: 'ttyUSB0 (qcdm), uplink0 (net),
> ttyUSB2 
> (at), cdc-wdm1 (qmi), wwan1 (net), cdc-wdm0 (qmi)'
>    -------------------------
>    Numbers  |           own : 'XXXXXXXXXX'
>    -------------------------
>    Status   |           lock: 'sim-pin2'
>             | unlock retries: 'sim-pin (3), sim-pin2 (3), sim-puk
> (10), 
> sim-puk2 (10)'
>             |          state: 'connected'
>             |    power state: 'on'
>             |    access tech: 'lte'
>             | signal quality: '55' (recent)
>    -------------------------
>    Modes    |      supported: 'allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: none'
>             |        current: 'allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: none'
>    -------------------------
>    Bands    |      supported: 'cdma-bc0-cellular-800, cdma-bc1-pcs-
> 1900, 
> cdma-bc10-secondary-800, cdma-bc15-aws, dcs, egsm, pcs, g850, u2100, 
> u1900, u17iv, u850, u900, eutran-ii, eutran-iv, eutran-v, eutran-
> xiii, 
> eutran-xvii, eutran-xxv'
>             |        current: 'cdma-bc0-cellular-800, cdma-bc1-pcs-
> 1900, 
> cdma-bc15-aws, dcs, egsm, pcs, g850, u2100, u1900, u850, u900, 
> eutran-iv, eutran-xiii'
>    -------------------------
>    IP       |      supported: 'ipv4, ipv6, ipv4v6'
>    -------------------------
>    3GPP     |           imei: 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
>             |  enabled locks: 'none'
>             |    operator id: '311480'
>             |  operator name: 'VZW'
>             |   subscription: 'unknown'
>             |   registration: 'home'
>    -------------------------
>    CDMA     |           meid: 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
>             |            esn: 'XXXXXXXX'
>             |            sid: 'unknown'
>             |            nid: 'unknown'
>             |   registration: CDMA1x 'unknown'
>             |                 EV-DO  'unknown'
>             |     activation: 'activated'
>    -------------------------
>    SIM      |           path: '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/0'
> 
>    -------------------------
>    Bearers  |          paths:
> '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/2, 
> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/0'
> 
> console@localhost:~$ mmcli -b 2
> Bearer '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/2'
>    -------------------------
>    Status             |   connected: 'yes'
>                       |   suspended: 'no'
>                       |   interface: 'uplink0'
>                       |  IP timeout: '20'
>    -------------------------
>    Properties         |         apn: 'mw01.vzwstatic'
>                       |     roaming: 'allowed'
>                       |     IP type: 'ipv4'
>                       |        user: 'none'
>                       |    password: 'none'
>                       |      number: '*99#'
>                       | Rm protocol: 'unknown'
>    -------------------------
>    IPv4 configuration |   method: 'dhcp'
>                       |  address: 'unknown'
>                       |   prefix: '0'
>                       |  gateway: 'unknown'
>                       |      DNS: none
>                       |      MTU: '1428'
>    -------------------------
>    IPv6 configuration |   method: 'unknown'
> console@localhost:~$ mmcli -b 0
> Bearer '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/0'
>    -------------------------
>    Status             |   connected: 'yes'
>                       |   suspended: 'no'
>                       |   interface: 'uplink0'
>                       |  IP timeout: '20'
>    -------------------------
>    Properties         |         apn: 'mw01.vzwstatic'
>                       |     roaming: 'allowed'
>                       |     IP type: 'ipv4v6'
>                       |        user: 'none'
>                       |    password: 'none'
>                       |      number: '*99#'
>                       | Rm protocol: 'unknown'
>    -------------------------
>    IPv4 configuration |   method: 'unknown'
>    -------------------------
>    IPv6 configuration |   method: 'unknown'
> rer 0le@localhost:~$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --delete-bear
> console@localhost:~$ sudo nmcli c up Verizon
> Connection successfully activated (D-Bus active path: 
> /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/6)
> console@localhost:~$ nmcli d
> DEVICE    TYPE      STATE      CONNECTION
> eth0      ethernet  connected  eth0-DHCP
> cdc-wdm1  gsm       connected  Verizon
> lo        loopback  unmanaged  --
> 
> _______________________________________________
> networkmanager-list mailing list
> networkmanager-list@gnome.org
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/networkmanager-list
_______________________________________________
networkmanager-list mailing list
networkmanager-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/networkmanager-list

Reply via email to