On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 09:03 +0300, Ionuț Leonte via networkmanager-list
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following code:
>
>     import gi
>     gi.require_version('NM', '1.0')
>     from gi.repository import GLib, Gio, NM
>

>     def handle_method_call(
>         connection, sender, object_path, interface_name,
>         method_name, params, invocation
>     ):
>         if interface_name ==
> 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.SecretAgent':
>             if method_name == 'GetSecrets':
>                 conn, path, sett, hints, flags = params.unpack()
>                 print(f'GetSecrets():')
>                 print(f'  path = {path}')
>                 print(f'  sett = {sett}')
>                 print(f'  hints = {hints}')
>                 print(f'  flags = {flags}')
>
>                 invocation.return_value(
>                     GLib.Variant.new_tuple(GLib.Variant('a{sa{sv}}',
> {}))
>                 )
>                 return
>
>             invocation.return_value(GLib.Variant('()', ()))
>

>     xml_path = 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.SecretAgent.xml'  #
> from [2]
>
>     xml = open(xml_path, 'r').read()
>     node = Gio.DBusNodeInfo.new_for_xml(xml)
>
>     print(f'Getting DBus proxy for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager')
>     proxy = Gio.DBusProxy.new_for_bus_sync(
>         Gio.BusType.SYSTEM,
>         Gio.DBusProxyFlags.NONE,
>         None,
>         "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager",
>         "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AgentManager",
>         "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.AgentManager",
>         None,
>     )
>
>     print(f'Registering SecretAgent interface')
>     proxy.get_connection().register_object(
>         "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/SecretAgent",
>         node.interfaces[0],
>         handle_method_call,
>         None, None
>     )
>
>     print(f'Registering SecretAgent object')
>     proxy.call_sync(
>         "Register",
>         GLib.Variant.new_tuple(GLib.Variant.new_string('dev.ileonte.V
> PNSSO')),
>         Gio.DBusCallFlags.NO_AUTO_START,
>         -1,
>         None)
>
>     loop = GLib.MainLoop()
>     loop.run()
>
> It registers as a SecretAgent and prints the parameters that
> NetworkManager
> sends to its GetSecret() method.
>
> With KDE - tested on Gentoo (NM version 1.26.0) and Kubuntu 20.04 (NM
> version
> 1.22.10) - I see the following (correct?) behavior:
>   - when I go to System Settings > Connections and click on a VPN
> connection
>     (to see the settings of the connection) my GetSecrets() function
> gets
>     called once with flags=4 (ie. USER_REQUESTED - see [1])
>   - when I try to activate a VPN connection (via nmcli OR from the
> connections
>     page in System Settings OR via the Plasma NetworkManager applet)
> [...]

hi,

I don't know.

Something does sound wrong here.

I would think that NetworkManager shouldn't behave differently between
nmcli, nm-applet or plasma-nm/KDE. In the end, they are all D-Bus
clients, it's not clear why that would result in different behavior.
Also, for the most part, the distros should ship something close to
upstream, so it's not clear why you would see a difference on Fedora
32.

I think to really understand you should look at level=TRACE logs of
NetworkManager. It should tell you why/which secret-agents are prompted
and why. I guess, you'd also have to check the sources. Sorry, that it
isn't that straight forward, but new secret-agents only get implemented
once per decade, and they are debugged only rarely.

Looking at logs seems most important. See
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf#n28
 for hints about logging.

best,
Thomas