see inline

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 12:24 AM Thomas Haller <thal...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Mon, 2021-05-24 at 14:35 -0700, Abu Rasheda via networkmanager-list
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am seeing two issues with NM and ovsdb. Issue # 2 is more critical.
> >
> > In my configuration, I have two bridges in OVS. On one of the bridge,
> > the interface needs to be under Network Manager, so I have changed
> > commands to:
> >
> > nmcli conn add type ovs-bridge conn.interface
> > nmcli conn add type ovs-port conn.interface
> > nmcli conn add type ovs-interface slave-type ovs-port conn.interface
> > nmcli conn add type ethernet conn.interface
>
> these commands are not complete and not working. Could you share the
> full commands?
>
> I can share in the morning, just wanted to reply before I go to bed :)

> also, after you created the profiles (an activate them), what gives
> `nmcli connection`, `nmcli device` and `ovs-vsctl show` ?

Again these work perfectly fine.

> > On the other bridge, I am still using, e.g.
> >
> > ovs-vsctl --timeout=5 add-br
> >
> > Also, there are a bunch of places where ovs-vsctl is used for reading,
> > e.g.
> >
> > ovs-vsctl list-ports
> >

> > The issues I am seeing are:
> >
> > (1) For Interface/ports created via nmcli, sometimes I have issue
> > deleting them:
> >
> > I see the config file in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ovs-
> > slave-port1
> >
> > nmcli c delete ovs-slave-port1
> >
> > I get something like, this device does not exist (I have seen this
> > error once)
>
> This merely deletes a profile in NetworkManager. This always should
> succeed, and there is no reason why it can fail (except bugs). But
> there is not enough information provided, to understand what exactly
> fails. The message "device does not exist" doesn't make sense for this
> command. Please share the literal error messages by quoting them, not
> paraphrasing.

Understand, just wanted to mention this. if it happens again, I will
capture the whole message.

> Also, please always collect `level=TRACE` logs of NetworkManager. See
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/blob/9eac9c846c6bb7b0baa77b72638aaf79df4a5ca6/contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf#L29
> for hints about logging.
>
> Okay.

> > Following is a more important issue
> >
> > (2) In some situations, commands like the following would timeout:
> >
> > ovs-vsctl --timeout=5 add-port bridge1 port1
> >
> > If I run the above command without --timeout, this will never return.
> > However, if I let it timeout or ctrl-c and use ovs-vsctl show, it
> > shows that port1 is created.
>
> Are "bridge1" and "port1" the actual names, or is this an example?
>
> example

> > I ran this under strace and saw ovs-vsctl is stuck at poll call. I
> > have also seen
> >
> > cat ovsdb-server.log
> > 2021-05-
> > 24T14:13:11.930Z|00003|reconnect|INFO|unix:/var/run/vmware/nsx-
> > agent/nsxagent_ovsdb.sock: connecting...
> > 2021-05-
> > 24T14:13:11.930Z|00004|reconnect|INFO|unix:/var/run/vmware/nsx-
> > agent/nsxagent_ovsdb.sock: connection attempt failed (No such file or
> > directory)
>
> I am no tfamiliar with OVS, but this doesn't seem relevant. Is
> something else in those logs?
>

> > It connects fine when using ovs-vsctl show
> >
> > Question:
> >
> > 1. Is it okay to use both nmcli and ovs-vsctl to create
> > bridges/ports/interfaces (when they are under different bridges)?
>
> yes (presumably)
>

> did you test that not using NetworkManager in parallel avoids the
> problem?

the whole system works perfectly fine without NM and has been using it for
years :)

> NetworkManager talks directly to ovsdb, like ovsvs-ctl does. Deactivate
> all OVS profiles in NetworkManager (check `nmcli connnection` and
> `nmcli conneciton down "$PROFILE"`). Then also check that nothing is
> left over in ovsdb from NetworkManager (with `ovs-vsctl show`). Then
> perform the steps on the other bridge. Do they work?

I have not tried this.

Even now   `ovs-vsctl show` output is correct. The issue is ovs-vsctl
del-port does not return. Seems like db is not responding. I wanted to
check if anyone has seen this before.

Just thinking out loud, Did NM put db in such a state?

Any ideas? otherwise need to debug what is going on