On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 21:40 +0300, Emmanuel Grumbach via
networkmanager-list wrote:

> Disclaimer: This feature is available only on vPRO Platforms.
>
> Question to the NM maintainers:
> Would you consider merging patches that would implement this?

Definitely. The most important property for implementing a feature is
that the underlying dependencies are also open soure and merged
upstream. In this case, the requirement is that (upstream) kernel and
(upstream) wpa_supplicant can support this feature -- or at least,
there is a real possibility that it will support it in the future.

That you need a special hardware is fine. It however poses a practical
problem if upstream contributors cannot test/contribute to it. It
basically means that those contibutors who care about this feature (and
can test it) need to carry more burden than usual.

> Do you see any blocker to implement this?

Maybe the handling of RFKILL in NetworkManager requires some cleanup
first. That would be in `src/core/nm-manager.c` and `src/core/rf-kill-
manager.c`.

Your description is very detailed. Thank you. It does not sound
entirely trivial to me however :).

NetworkManager is mostly about having connection profiles and
activating them. It's not clear to me how this ATM fits with that
model. Would the user still configure a connection profile? Should a
connection profile be auto-generated (there are cases where wo do that,
for example for bluetooth paired devices).

> Any recommendation for the implementation?

NetworkManager does talk relatively little nl80211 to kernel. Mostly it
only configures wpa_supplicant. And most things happen when
"activating" a profile in NetworkManager.

I don't have concrete suggestions. Did you look at NetworkManager
alraeady? Maybe we can find first "simpler" steps and break this down?

best,
Thomas