fyi -- the existing zero-copy capabilities of linux 2.4.x (x>=5 i think,
but probably also included in the redhay 7.1 kernel along with the TUX
stuff) are triggerred only if you use sendfile() ... nobody has done the
work to enable them for mmap().  so whatever's needed to activate
sendfile()  should be a win provided you've got the right hardware.

for 100baseT, "the right hardware" is basically the 3com 3c905b or 3c905c.
for gig-e you can use the acenic (which is now available in the netgear
GA620 and 620T, and some 3com card i forget the card#) or syskonnect (i
think).  a handful of other drivers are still under development.

anyhow, to see the difference with zero-copy enabled you'll probably need
to study idle cpu (especially if it's only 100baseT).

-dean