On Sunday 10 Nov 2002 9:53 pm, Marlo Montanaro wrote:
> Hi everyone...
>
> I've checked out the minimum system requirements for V9 as well as the
> archives, but we all know what minimum requirements mean... usually a
> definite maybe...
>
> I'm looking to install Mandrake Linux 9 on one of my older PC's.  It is a
> Dell Dimension XPS M200s- a first generation Pentium-MMX processor running
> at 200 MHz with 64 MB of RAM and a 4 GB hard disk.  Currently it is running
> Windows 98SE which I'm willing to blow away.
>
> I just want to learn Linux and I'm not looking for performance, although I
> may compile/install a few apps just to play.
>
> Do I have any reasonable hope for success here or will the 64 MB of RAM be
> a limitation that will prevent this from working?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Marlo Montanaro

It should be fine Mario. The KDE WindowManager will be pretty slow, so install
some other Window Managers as well and see which one suits you best. (IceWM
is quite like Win95, and is a good place to start)

Avoid using KDE applications since they will slow your system down. As a very
rough guide, applications beginning with 'g' or 'x' will tend to be faster
than apps starting with 'k'.

If you have trouble with a particular application being too slow, ask us and
we can recommend a better alternative.

derek