It's been a while since I messed with installing Java2, but I think I
liked using the MDK version because it automatically mades the .bashrc
entries. I could be wrong, though--like I said, it's been a while. I
just remember the generalities:

* Must have j2re.
* Must not have Kaffe.
* The Java bin directory must be in your PATH.

Miark