Thanks Axalon.....I made the changes in XF86Config using the modeline from
fbset.....but
still it doesn't change anything.

I think the problem is because startx is invoking XF86_SVGA server instead of
XF86_FBDev
server...or somehow XF86_SVGA server is the default server.....may be because I used
svga
during initial installation.

How can I change the settings to run XF86_FBDev instead of XF86_SVGA? Do I have to make
changes to the .config file, if so where is it located and what changes should I make?

Thanks,
Piyush

Axalon Bloodstone wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Piyush Patnaik wrote:
>
> > Yep! the res in my XF86Config is--modes="default"--. I did not find fbset though!
>The
> > monitor size is 800x600 but supports 1024x768....Actually I'm running linux on
> > OmniBook XE - Laptop. How can I use fbset to solve this problem?
>
> it's on the cdrom, fbset -x insert the output into your monitor subsection
> with all the other modes in XF86Config.
> Then in the screen section for the fbdev
> Modes   "640x480-60" #or what ever the Mode "tag" was from fbset
begin:vcard
n:Patnaik;Piyush
tel;fax:530-509-5504
tel;home:716-873-4103
tel;work:716-829-2133
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ap.buffalo.edu/~patnaik
org:University at Buffalo
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
adr;quoted-printable:;;1970 Delaware Ave,=0D=0AApt # 1;Buffalo;NY;14216;USA
fn:Piyush Patnaik
end:vcard