On Tuesday 17 August 2004 15:49, C. Tresenriter wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:07:05 -0500
>
> John Drouhard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > # modprobe snd_seq_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_pcm_oss
> > > FATAL: Error inserting snd-seq-oss
> > > (/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/sound/core/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.
> > > ko.g z): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see
> > > dmesg)
> > >
> > > dmesg had nothing in it related to sound.
> > >
> > > cat dmesg returns
> > > cat: dmesg: No such file or directory
> >
> > don't cat dmesg, just run it as any other command:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ dmesg
> >
> > Tell us what it says about that sound module when you try to
> > modprobe it. You might have to reinstall the kernel (or upgrade
> > it, they're up to 2.6.8.1 now).
> >
> > John
>
> Ok
>
> After running modprobe, dmesg shows
> Unknown parameter snd_pcm_oss -removing it from the command it
> then shows
> Unknown parameter snd_mixer_oss
> removing that,  the command returns the command prompt only.
> This is telling me that those two modules are not installed, yes?
>
> I'm currently running 2.6.3-7mdk - urpmq kernel shows nothing more
> recent.

I think modprobe accepts only _one_ module name as parameter, so you
would use:
# modprobe snd_seq_oss
# modprobe snd_pcm_oss
# modprobe snd_mixer_oss
#
If you get back the command prompt everything went ok, but I think those
modules are already loaded. You can always check with '/sbin/lsmod'
which modules are loaded.

HTH,

    -Frans