On Friday 22 Oct 2004 05:31, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> John Wilson wrote:
>
> <------------- snip ------------>
>
>
> John,
>    I think you did a great job of summing it up.  But one thing I have
> never seen talked about as a way to get a virus into a Linux system is
> to include it in an RPM.  Lets face it, how many people actualy check
> the scripts that are run when an rpm is installed?  Do you check that it
> is signed properly?  (I know urpmi will check, but I also remember
> problem with package signitures talked about on the lists...)  Remember,
> almost all RPMs are installed by root, so any scripts an RPM runs are
> also run by root.  And all that is needed is to hack an update mirror
> site to infect a large number of machines...
>
Which is why you should be extremely careful about any software that does not 
come from known and trusted sources.  Reputable sources do have checks built 
in to make sure they start with safe packages and their boxes are not 
cracked.  As always, the ultimate check is your own care and common sense.

Anne
-- 
Registered Linux User No.293302
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?

____________________________________________________
Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft? 
Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrakeclub.com
____________________________________________________

Reply via email to