>Steve,
> If his only partitions for linux (other than swap) are / and /usr (I
>believe
>he meant/ rather than /root),
Yes, that is indeed what I meant. I am sorry that I expressed myself
so badly.
>won't /opt be inside the / partition? That's
>the usual place for te third party software, like SO he's thinking of
>using.
>Might that not make / fill up more quickly.
That is my concern. Are there any figures avaiable on how much space
is taken up in every file system in the default installation? What I mean
is, are there any numbers for how big the /, the /usr, the /etc, the /opt,
the /var etc. partitions absolutely have to be in order to accomodate a full
installation, everything included?
>Perhaps a separate /opt and /home
>might help. any thoughts?
>Mike
>
Perhaps I should make separate /etc, /var, /opt, /usr, /, and so on,
for every file system? I'd feel pretty silly if I had made one partition
too small and eventually had to reformat and reinstall the entire system,
just because a partition turned out to be too small. That is why I want to
do this right from the beginning.
Some of the applications I plan to install I guess will end up in /usr.
I thought this was where all third-party software was installed, but
apparently some will end up in /opt? Is this true? In that case perhaps I
should make a separate /opt instead of a separate /usr?
I am grateful for all help.
Ian
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com