Miark writes:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:07:13 +1100 (EST),
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> About to reconnect to internet, and find that best broadband
>> option at present in Australia (without home phone) is Telstra
>> Wireless ADSL via USB port. Currently have Mandriva 2006
>> installed. Will this detect and run the wireless USB modem ?
>> If not, would Mandriva 2007 have that capability ? Running
>> oldish box with Athlon 1.2 gigHz processor. Regards,
>
> I've had great success using ndiswrapper to use wireless NICs
> that are not natively supported in Linux. However, I've not
> tried it with USB NICs. Give it a Google.
>
> Miark

> Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
> Go to http://store.mandriva.com
> Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com

I haven't set up many adsl connections and even less in Linux,
but the few adsl usb modems I have set up use the usb to control
the modem (dialling the number) and then the rj and / or
wireless to communicate with the network/ internet. One word of
advice, as soon as you have it working go into the routers
set-up web server and change the default password, otherwise you
will be leaving yourself wide open to an attack. One of my
neighbours was hacked about a week ago and had her routers ip
address and the fire wall's password changed and her windows
laptop's sound card and dvd rom drivers corrupted.

registered Linux user number 414240
Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest
intentions and he was going to blow them up !
Free POP3 Email from www.Gawab.com
Sign up NOW and get your account @gawab.com!!