Hello, all

Situation in a nutshell - I knowingly and under no duress installed Mandriva
from the first CD of the powerpack 2006. That is, that's all I downloaded. I
knew that that would mean work down the road, but I sort of wanted that, in
order not to get lots of stuff I didn't need.

More or less it's worked out OK. I can develop on the Linux side, which is
the main thing. But I'd dearly like to be able to print on the Linux side
also. Back in the day I tried to get an earlier version of CUPS to recognize
a HP DeskJet - that was heinous, and so I gave it up. As I understand it,
though, in this day and age it ought not to be a problem to have Mandriva
grok a LaserJet 1014.

I installed CUPS through a tarball (I have been forced to stop using RPMs
because of the ridiculous dependency problem - I even get complaints about
missing shared libs when the thing is actually in place under the correct
name in the correct directory, so I said to hell with rpmdrake and urpmi). I
have gotten to the stage where at least one of the print utilities supplied
with Mandriva detects the HP printer. Using lpstat does the same. However, I
am not able to enable the printer to actually print, because there is no
"enable"/"disable" command pair anywhere on my machine, as the web sites
avow there must be.

Lacking the "enable" and "disable" commands, what exactly should I do?

Regards,
AHS
Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com