On 27/05/2015 19:33, uno dos wrote:
Hi guys. I'm newbie with OSM. I want to download the .shp, .osm or .pbf from my Country (Chile) to import in PostgreSQL/PostGIS. When I download the map from any source I get only the information shapes. I want download also the base map (the borders). Can be these downloaded? Where is the base map?

If you want to load Chilean data into a rendering database, I'd suggest downloading a PBF file from here:

http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america/chile.html

There's a "chile-latest.osm.pbf" file there that is only 75Mb, so you shouldn't need a huge server to hold it.

If you haven't already seen it, I'd definitely also read https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/ .

Actually is possible download from Internet the base map for free from some sites and attach the information shape downloaded from OSM, but those base maps aren't enough good. In the south corner a lot of islands don't appear, but in the OSM site I can see that.

On the http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america/chile.html page you can see the triangle that's included in that download; if that's missing bits you could perhaps try the "South America" download from http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america.html and perhaps cut out the piece you want using something like Osmosis ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis ).

Any help or orientation  will be awesome.

That's all. Bye and sorry for my poor english.

For info, there's a Chilean mailing list:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-cl/

Someone there might be able to help if you get stuck

Cheers,

Andy