----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Fr�d�ric Giudicelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: newpki-beta4


Erik Anderson wrote:

> "not specifying a password" in OpenSSL is "pkcs12 -nodes"
> "not exporting the complete certificate chain" in OpenSSL is
> "pkcs12 -clcerts"

@ Now, why would you want to do that ? :)

Hmm, well OpenVPN asks for three PEM files: the CA chain, the certificate,
and the private key.  I've figured out that I can stick the private key and
the certificate in the same file, but the program gets rathar confused if I
stick the entire certificate chain in a single file (it doesn't know which
one is the client cert?).  Up to this point I've been editing them, which
isn't that big a deal, but having NewPKI at least output natively in PEM
would save a roundtrip of the .p12 file to a linux box to get converted.

And as for the -nodes flag, when you're running the VPN client as a system
service on someone's machine it doesn't really have a chance to ask the user
for a password.  I kinda like it that way, I have enough trouble with trying
to force people to come up with good passwords that they remember for more
than 5min, I like the fact that they have a horribly complicated password
that they're always using but that they will never have to remember...

> Umm, is there any way we can get a description of what changed in the
> database, so that we could upgrade our (production) systems and make use
of
> the next version?  Eventually a utility to detect and upgrade previous
> schema variants could be very useful.  A note stating that the upgrade is
> not backwards compatible would also be very useful.

@ It's not just the databases that changed but the internal also.
@ There is no way to upgrade the whole PKI, this is probably another 1-2
@ months development just to write the upgrade routines.

@ I'll will put a notice in the release note to warn people the beta4 is
@ not backward compatible.

My job contains a large part of designing and maintaining database-heavy
applications, so I realize that database schema is not something that will
easily "settle down" and stop changing.  While i recognize that this is
still considered early beta and that this new format is going to be a much
more mature one, I also know that it takes years for projects with even set
goals and boundaries as this one to get even close to something that won't
change in the next release.

I thank you for your interest in helping those of us using your system in
managing our keys and I am not trying to "stop the creative juices" when it
comes to continuing to improve this great product.  I'm just hoping that as
additional releases come out that some path is made available in the future
for those of us not wanting to start back at square one each time.

I mentioned Subversion before, they are a database-based version control
system that invented their own import/export format with one of the central
purposes to allow an upgrade path to occur (during the betas, upgrading
involved exporting your data, wiping the database with the new structures,
and re-importing the data using the new version).  I'm mentioning this as it
seems to be similar to what is happening here (without my knowing the actual
details of what's happening).

Anyway, I think I've pretty much thrown out all that I had to say about
this, as usual at a rathar late hour of the night (why do long emails always
come out when one should be in bed?).  I look forward to the next release,
and hope I have not stained it too badly with my meandering...

_____________________________________________________________________
NewPKI                                          http://www.newpki.org
User Support Mailing List                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Automated List Manager                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to