Speakers: Dejan Mihajlov, head of the DSS caucus in the Serbian
Parliament
        Dusan Prorokovic, deputy president of the DSS Executive Board

Dejan Mihajlov: As the talks on the inauguration of a new federal
cabinet
are about to come to an end, the Democratic Party of Serbia will demand
Serbian cabinet reshuffle. The demand is more than justified, because
the
problems the government inherited have not been resolved, and its
members
proved to be rather inefficient in effecting systemic changes. If the
situation holds on, we could encounter social discontent, strained
relations
between local self-government and the central authority and a judiciary
closed to reforms.

The pledged root-and-branch changes are late, while laws on local
self-rule
and judiciary are yet to be sent to parliament for action.

The process of reform must not be questioned in any way, which is one of
the
reasons for our demand. The Law on Wage Categories has already pushed
the
government into a compromise.

The process of changes is neither easy nor fast, but it is nevertheless
necessity, as well as good social programmes.
We do not want cosmetic changes, but rather a profound insight into the
work
of the government and all ministries, beginning with our own.

We welcome the People's Party's entry into the government.

The last dilemma over a new federal finance minister is now resolved.
Mr. J.
Rankovic has accepted the post.

Dusan Prorokovic: When the consultations on the establishment of a new
federal government ended, resulting in a new cabinet bound to be
installed
as soon as this week, it became clear that the existing tensions have
been
reduced and that a new step was taken towards the preservation of the
federal state.

The Democratic Party of Serbia strongly believes that the alliance of
Serbia
and Montenegro is both a strategic interest and a long-term project of
utmost importance.

Individual statements in Serbia advocating a referendum do a disservice
the Serbian people and offer latent support to opponents of the joint
state.
Only those who do not think about consequences can suggest such a thing.
The
consequences of the establishment of two independent states on the
Yugoslav
soil can be disastrous not only for Serbia and Montenegro, but also the
Balkan region at large. It would affect stability, both political and
monetary, and even the security situation in Montenegro, which would
have
adverse effects on its neighbours, Serbia in particular. There is no
doubt
that such a development would curb the reform process and discourage
foreign
investors.

Talking about possible separation of Belgrade and Podgorica, we have to
take
into account the U.N. Security Council Resolution 1244. Montenegro's
secession would make the Kosovo issue even more problematic and
complicate
our efforts to keep Kosovo within Serbia. The open question of whether
the
Kosovo Serbs would participate in the November vote in the province and
the
election itself have already made our initiatives complicated enough.

Information Service of the Democratic Party of Serbia
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.dss.org.yu
Democratic party of Serbia, Brace Jugovica 2a, 11000 Beograd,
Jugoslavija
Tel: (381 11) 182 535; 183 525; 638 013; 328 2886
Fax: (381 11) 328 1793

                                   Serbian News Network - SNN

                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                    http://www.antic.org/