Milosevic Travel Request Sent to Court
The Associated Press
Russia has provided the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands, with
supporting documents for former Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic to travel to
Moscow for medical treatment, the Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
Milosevic, who suffers chronic heart ailments and high blood pressure, is
defending himself against 66 counts of war crimes in Kosovo, Bosnia and Croatia
during the 1990s. He asked the court last month for permission to go to Moscow
to follow up on a November examination by three of his own doctors.
"The Russian side has presented the International Tribunal for the Former
Yugoslavia with the necessary package of documents, on the basis of which the
tribunal should decide to free Milosevic for a trip to Russia for treatment,"
ministry spokesman Mikhail Kamynin said on NTV television. "Moreover, Milosevic
himself has given the tribunal guarantees that he will return to The Hague
immediately following the completion of his treatment."
Also Wednesday, a Belgrade newspaper claimed that Bosnian Serb wartime
commander and top war crimes suspect General Ratko Mladic is in Russia and
negotiations are under way on how to extradite him to the UN war crimes
tribunal in the Netherlands.
The report in the Belgrade daily Glas, citing a source, said Mladic left Serbia
in May as Western pressure intensified on the Balkan republic to hand over the
fugitive, indicted for atrocities during the 1992-95 war in Bosnia.
Serbian News Network - SNN
[email protected]
http://www.antic.org/