Captain Dragan behind bars after raid

Natasha Robinson
January 21, 2006

A NOTORIOUS former Serb paramilitary leader accused of war crimes is
behind bars in a maximum-security prison after federal police armed
with an Interpol arrest warrant seized the golf instructor in a
midnight raid at a Sydney apartment.

Four months after The Australian found Dragan Vasiljkovic living in
Perth as Daniel Snedden, the first stage of extradition proceedings
was launched yesterday against the soldier known as Captain Dragan
during the bloody Balkans conflict.

As a commander in the Serbian paramilitary forces, Mr Vasiljkovic is
alleged to have led a unit that killed civilians and tortured
prisoners of war in the Croatian towns of Glina and Knin in mid-1991
and Bruska, near Benkovac, in February 1993.

The Croatian Government wants Australia to send him to Croatia to face
three war-crimes charges. The charges, according to papers lodged in
Sydney's Central Local Court yesterday, included two war crimes
against prisoners of war under article 122 of the Basic Criminal Code
of Croatia and one war crime against civil population under Article
120 of the code. The offences carry a maximum penalty of 20 years'
jail.

The Croatian investigation into Mr Vasiljkovic's wartime activities -
conducted by county prosecutors in the central Dalmatian town of
Sibenik - began after The Australian tracked Mr Vasiljkovic, 51, to a
Perth Serbian community centre, where he was teaching golf.

The former commando had returned to Australia in December 2004,
quietly resuming a life in Perth where his mother and brother live,
after travelling between Belgrade, Africa and The Hague in the years
following the 1991-95 Balkans war.

Mr Vasiljkovic, who emigrated to Sydney as a boy and holds dual
Australian-Serb citizenship, gave evidence in the trial of former
dictator Slobodan Milosevic at the International Criminal Tribunal for
the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague in 2003.

His lawyer told the Sydney court yesterday there was no evidence to
justify Mr Vasiljkovic being held in jail. "There is not one factual
statement here, even though his liberty has been taken away," Brad
Slowgrove said.

Australian Federal Police agents swooped on Mr Vasiljkovic's rented
unit in the southwest Sydney suburb of Liverpool at 11.55pm on
Thursday. He was listed as an international fugitive by Interpol
earlier this month.

Mr Vasiljkovic, who insisted last week he would only return to Croatia
"as commander of a tank unit" and evidence against him "won't stand
even in the pubs", sat impassively in the dock wearing a dark suit
jacket and red shirt.

Magistrate Allan Moore adjourned the matter to January 27, when Mr
Vasiljkovic, who was refused bail, will appear by video link from
prison.

Additional reporting: David King, Peter Kogoy


http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17887448%255E601,00.html

                                   Serbian News Network - SNN

                                        [email protected]

                                    http://www.antic.org/

Reply via email to