Russia 'makes second arrest' over British spy scandal 

By Andrew Osborn in Moscow and Marie Woolf in London 

Published: 29 January 2006 

The Foreign Office was last night making urgent diplomatic checks after it was 
reported that a fresh arrest has been made in Russia of a person accused of 
spying for Britain. 

The claim was made by the former head of the FSB security service, Nikolai 
Kovalyov, in an interview with a Russian TV channel due to be broadcast today. 
In an extract from the interview shown last night, Mr Kovalyov, now an MP, says 
that two people allegedly working as spies for Britain have been arrested in 
Moscow, adding: "Of course they are not silent, they are talking."

One arrest is already known to have been made in the affair, which allegedly 
involves British embassy personnel and a fake rock planted in a Moscow park. 
Last week the same TV programme showed footage of four British diplomats 
visiting the park at different times. It was alleged that anyone passing nearby 
could send and receive data through a transmitter concealed in the "rock", 
using hand-held digital devices.

British diplomats were yesterday making urgent inquiries about the identity of 
the second alleged spy. Foreign Office sources said they did not believe the 
person was a British citizen, since they had not been officially informed, as 
diplomatic protocol requires.

"We have not been notified of any arrests," said a Foreign Office spokesman. 
"It is not clear if the reports are about our staff. We have asked the [Russian 
government] for information and are checking with our staff."

Journalists who contacted the FSB last night were advised to watch the 
programme on Sunday and note what Mr Kovalyov said. The agency had no official 
comment.

On Wednesday, the Russian President, Vladimir Putin, said officials were still 
considering how to respond to the alleged spy scandal. So far no British 
diplomats have been asked to leave the country; however, leaks to the Russian 
media claim that a British diplomatic representative made regular payments to 
Russian non-governmental organisations.

There has been speculation that the Russian security services may have been 
unable to decode the data passing through the fake rock in Moscow, but decided 
to use the affair in the Kremlin's campaign against NGOs accused of undermining 
the state's security. 

The Foreign Office was last night making urgent diplomatic checks after it was 
reported that a fresh arrest has been made in Russia of a person accused of 
spying for Britain. 

The claim was made by the former head of the FSB security service, Nikolai 
Kovalyov, in an interview with a Russian TV channel due to be broadcast today. 
In an extract from the interview shown last night, Mr Kovalyov, now an MP, says 
that two people allegedly working as spies for Britain have been arrested in 
Moscow, adding: "Of course they are not silent, they are talking."

One arrest is already known to have been made in the affair, which allegedly 
involves British embassy personnel and a fake rock planted in a Moscow park. 
Last week the same TV programme showed footage of four British diplomats 
visiting the park at different times. It was alleged that anyone passing nearby 
could send and receive data through a transmitter concealed in the "rock", 
using hand-held digital devices.

British diplomats were yesterday making urgent inquiries about the identity of 
the second alleged spy. Foreign Office sources said they did not believe the 
person was a British citizen, since they had not been officially informed, as 
diplomatic protocol requires.
"We have not been notified of any arrests," said a Foreign Office spokesman. 
"It is not clear if the reports are about our staff. We have asked the [Russian 
government] for information and are checking with our staff."

Journalists who contacted the FSB last night were advised to watch the 
programme on Sunday and note what Mr Kovalyov said. The agency had no official 
comment.

On Wednesday, the Russian President, Vladimir Putin, said officials were still 
considering how to respond to the alleged spy scandal. So far no British 
diplomats have been asked to leave the country; however, leaks to the Russian 
media claim that a British diplomatic representative made regular payments to 
Russian non-governmental organisations.

There has been speculation that the Russian security services may have been 
unable to decode the data passing through the fake rock in Moscow, but decided 
to use the affair in the Kremlin's campaign against NGOs accused of undermining 
the state's security. 


http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article341735.ece 
<http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article341735.ece> 



                                   Serbian News Network - SNN

                                        [email protected]

                                    http://www.antic.org/

Reply via email to