Deutsche Welle
  English Service News
  30. 01. 2006, 17:00 UTC
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  "Kicking News" -- DW-WORLD's Soccer Newsletter:
  Get all the news about the World Cup and Germany's Bundesliga on
  DW-WORLD.DE at the end of every month. To subscribe, go to:
   http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1170241,00.html

  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  Today's highlight on DW-WORLD:

  Merkel Warns Palestinians Over Hamas

  German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday warned that Berlin
  would cut funding to a Hamas-led Palestinian Authority unless
  the radical Islamist group renounced violence.

  To read this article on the DW-WORLD website, just click on the
  internet address below:

  http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1876718,00.html

  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  Chancellor Merkel meets Abbas

  German Chancellor Angela Merkel has become the first foreign leader
  to meet Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas since the radical Islamist
  group Hamas won last week's election. At a press conference, she
  said that the post-election Palestinian Authority must recognise
  Israel's right to exist and renounce violence. She said that Abbas
  carries a great responsibility. Hamas has sworn in the past to
  destroy Israel. Abbas for his part urged the international community
  to continue to provide aid to Palestine. Earlier in the day Merkel
  laid a wreath at Israel's Holocaust memorial for the six million
  Jews killed by Nazi Germany. Talking at the Yad Vashem memorial,
  Merkel promised that Germany would stand at Israel's side especially
  during difficult times.


  West unites for Hamas to disarm

  Western nations are united in insisting that Hamas must renounce
  violence. EU Foreign Ministers who met in Brussels this afternoon
  said the European Union is strongly considering cutting off aid to
  the Palestinian Authority if Hamas does not commit itself to making
  peace with Israel. US President George W. Bush said Hamas must get
  rid of its arms and disavow terrorism. Hamas has appealed to the
  international community not to cut financial aid. Ismail Haniyeh, a
  Hamas leader in Gaza, said the money would be spent on salaries,
  infrastructure and general aid. Western nations are concerned that
  Hamas could use the aid to fund violence. The European Union is the
  largest aid donor to the Palestinians.


  EU-Iran talks go nowhere

  A meeting between German, French and British officials with an
  Iranian delegation over that country's nuclear programme ended on
  Monday without any progress. German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter
  Steinmeier said in Brussels that there were no new proposals made,
  so the situation hadn't changed. US Secretary of State Condoleezza
  Rice said it was time to refer Tehran to the UN. She made the
  comments ahead of Monday evening's meeting in London of the five
  permanent UN Security Council members who hope to establish a
  unified position on Iran.


  M. East Bird flu death, also Cyprus

  The deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu has claimed its first victim in
  the Middle East. The Iraqi health minister confirmed that a teenage
  Kurdish girl who died two weeks ago had the virus. The girl came
  from a village close to Iraq's border with Turkey, where four people
  have died from the disease. The deadly strain of bird flu has also
  been discovered for the first time in Cyprus. Health officials
  confirmed that two chickens in the Turkish-occupied north have the
  virus.


  Emergeny exists locked in roof collapse

  The Polish government has ordered the closure of some large
  buildings including supermarkets. Engineers are investigating
  suspicions that warm-climate designs may be unsuitable for colder
  climates leading to their collapse. Meanwhile, investigators say
  several emergency exits were locked when an exhibition hall
  collapsed this weekend in Chorzow, killing 67 people and injuring
  150 others. Medical authorities say the final death toll is expected
  to rise given the severity of the injuries among the survivors.
  Several people are believed to missing in the wreckage but rescue
  workers say there is no hope of finding anyone alive.


  Attack on Iraqi police training centre

  In Iraq, a suicide bomber in a car has blown himself up outside a
  police training centre in the southern city of Nasiriyah, killing at
  least one policeman and up to 39 other people, including soldiers
  and civilians. Monday morning's attack is the latest in a fresh wave
  of violence by mainly Sunni Arab insurgents across the country which
  has seen dozens killed and scores of others wounded in the past two
  days. In a separate attack, an Italian soldier was wounded when a
  roadside bomb exploded near his patrol outside Nasiriyah, the site
  of the Italian military base in Iraq.


  All Canadian miners rescued

  Officials have rescued all 72 miners trapped underground by a fire
  in a central Canadian potash mine. The fire broke out on early
  Sunday morning local time, forcing the miners to seek safety for 24
  hours in emergency refuge rooms. Firefighters extinguished the blaze
  on Monday and then cleared smoke from the underground mine allowing
  the trapped workers to leave the large underground facility.


  Blast injures 3 at US-Turkish association

  An explosion at a US-Turkish association in the southern Turkish
  city of Adana has injured three people. Two of the injured were
  women the Anatolian news agency reported but there was no further
  information on the blast. The city of Adana is also home to the
  Incirlik airbase which the US military uses to supply its forces in
  Iraq and Afghanistan.


  Oil worker hostages in Nigeria freed

  Four foreign oil workers who were abducted 19 days ago from an
  offshore oilfield by Nigerian militants have been freed. A Nigerian
  government spokesman said the hostages - an American, a Briton, a
  Bulgarian and a Honduran - were alive and well. The men work for the
  company Royal Dutch Shell. Their kidnappers had called for financial
  compensation for environmental damage caused by the oil industry.


  Enron trial starts

  The trial has begun for former Enron chiefs Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey
  Skilling for their roles in the collapse of the energy giant in
  2001. Jury selection started in Houston, Texas more than four years
  after billions of dollars were wiped out when Enron declared
  bankruptcy. Lay and Skilling are being charged with fraud and
  conspiracy in lying to stockholders about the financial state of the
  company. Both men have denied any wrongdoing.

  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  The Week in Germany: The best from German culture, business and
  olitics in a convenient weekly wrap-up. Read and subscribe at
  www.germany.info/twig

  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  For more information please turn to our internet website at

  http://dw-world.de/english

  Here you'll find out what's happening in Germany, Europe and the rest
  of the world. News and background reports from the fields of current
  affairs, culture, business and science. And of course the DW website
  also has information about DW-RADIO and DW-TV programmes: topics,
  broadcast times and frequencies.
  You can even listen to all programmes as audio-on-demand.



Reply via email to