If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

____________________________________

CHUCK MUTH’S NEWS & VIEWS
April 25, 2004

To view the HTML version of today’s News & Views, just go to:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm
_____________________________________

POSTAL REFORM UPDATE

Catch the latest news on the postal reform front by clicking on the “Goin’ Postal
Updates” button at www.postalreform.com.  In this week’s issue…

*  Mail to military overseas being “returned to sender”
*  Japan’s steps toward postal privatization
*  Internet biting into tax time postal revenue
*  GAO calls for breaking out the budget ax at USPS
*  Potter-vision: “unbending unions” and “unnecessary post offices”
*  USPS cost-cutting not enough for long term
*  Private businesses to USPS: Get off our toes!
*  The fly in the postal reform ointment: Unions
*  Postal reform prognosis for 2004

SOYBOY STEPS IN IT...AGAIN

Our boy Nathan Tabor, a goof of a candidate down in North Carolina’s 5th congressional
district, really knows how to win friends and influence people.  His “charm” has now
rubbed North Carolina District Attorney Tom Keith the wrong way.  Wait’ll you read
this...

It all started with some anonymous email last February from a person identifying
himself only as “Pastor Randy” which exposed Nathan’s criminal record for vandalizing
a farmer’s property and driving around in a fancy car with an expired license (it was
just an “oversight,” of course).  Well, Li’l Nate has been on an Ahab-like quest to
find out who was behind the Pastor Randy email ever since, convinced it was Jack Daly,
a supporter of Tabor opponent Vernon Robinson.

To make a long story short, Tabor’s campaign tricked an assistant DA in Keith’s office
to issue a subpoena for Cox Communications in an effort to obtain ISP records which
would identify “Pastor Randy” even after Keith told the local police department to
drop their investigation.  Cox provided the information requested in the subpoena,
which indicated the “Pastor Randy” address belonged to Jack Daly...and Li’l Nate
wasted no time issuing a hyperbolic “HAHA” press release claiming  he had proved Daly
was “Pastor Randy.”

One problem:  It actually “proved” nothing.

Daly still maintains he’s not Pastor Randy. And Theo Helm of the Winston Salem-Journal
reports that, “Like many things on the Internet, an Internet-protocol address can be
faked (according to) Jay Dominick, an assistant vice president for information systems
at Wake Forest University.”
(http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775040677&path=!nationworld&s=1037645509161)

Even techno-idiots know how easy it is to fake an email address.  So you’d think
Tabor, who’s campaign manager runs a technology firm, would know this.  But Li’l Nate
wasn’t about to let facts get in the way of his press release.  And in the process he
pulled of the biggest boners often made by novice and immature candidates...making an
accusation against an opponent without first verifying, verifying and verifying it
again.

But back to the DA.  Seems that even though Li’l Nate’s daddy was told by the
Kernsville police department that they weren’t going to waste important crime-fighting
time trying to track down an anonymous internet blogger in a political campaign, daddy
went ahead and hired an attorney who tricked the ADA into coughing up the Cox
Communications subpoena.  This underhanded maneuver led Keith to tell the Winston
Salem Journal, “I am outraged that we have been manipulated by the Tabor campaign. . .
. I would not vote for Tabor as dogcatcher."

If there is a bigger boob and more unworthy GOP candidate running for Congress this
year than Nathan Tabor, we’ve yet to hear about them.  Li’l Nate should just quit this
campaign now before he embarrasses himself, his family and his brother’s business even
more than he has already.

BOONE-DOGGLE

Have you noticed that a large number of folks who object to the notion of “gay
marriage” can’t seem to articulate an actual argument against gay marriage without
bringing polygamous marriage into the discussion?  Latest case in point: crooner Pat
Boone, who penned an op/ed for the Washington Times yesterday lambasting “politicians
and judges (who) are trying to redefine the meaning of marriage” to include same-sex
couples.  “What’s next,” asks the singer, “a man and three women - a woman and four
men?”

See.  Such folks don’t argue against same-sex marriage so much as they argue against
what might come AFTER same-sex marriage.  And it’s almost always something even
“worse” than same-sex marriage, such as polygamous marriage, that they claim we really
need to concern ourselves about.

But here’s where the anti-gay marriage religious folks lose me.  “Since the dawn of
mankind,” Boone maintained, “the sacred bond of marriage has been correctly defined as
a union between one woman and one man.”

Um, but I thought I read somewhere (oh yeah, in the Bible) that polygamous marriages
were OK in the “olden days.”  And if so, Boone’s statement is...well, just plain
wrong.  Marriages were NOT defined as “one woman and one man.”

And if polygamous marriages were OK in the Old Testament days, and polygamous
marriages are supposedly worse than same-sex marriages today...but the reasoning
against same-sex marriage is religious objections based on Old Testament teachings,
then how can we object to something worse than same-sex marriages which was OK in the
Bible and yet use that same Bible to come up with an argument to object to something
that’s not as bad as something that was once OK?

Oy, vey!  It makes your head spin trying to follow this “logic.”  Mr. Boone, with all
due respect, might want to consider following Laura Ingraham’s advice and, “Shut Up
and Sing.”

FMA UPDATE

Catch the latest on the federal marriage amendment front by clicking on the FMA UPDATE
button at www.lawfullywedded.com.  In this week’s edition…

*  Rauch interview link
*  Wildmon says FMA is DOA
*  Musgrave back-handed by own state
*  Hard right pushes to ban civil unions, as well
*  LaBarbera complains about ignorant Christian
*  Rank-and-file way ahead of “evangelical elites”
*  Reader: Laws don’t change men’s hearts
*  Chabot catches heat for not focusing on bigger fish
*  Barr says to stop clowning around with Constitution
*  It’s the stupid government, stupid!
*  Word games

THE (CAMPAIGN) DOCTOR IS IN!

You can’t change public policy if you don’t change public officials.  So Citizen
Outreach has established a separate website project dedicated to helping under-funded,
underdog campaigns...especially at the state and local levels.  Visit today...and make
sure you sign up for FREE email “hot tips” on how to get more votes, more money and
more volunteers for your campaign or grassroots organization.  Go to:
www.campaigndoctor.com

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439