If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

Amazingly enough, there are still some subscribers who don’t understand the smoking
ban issue.  Our position isn’t that tobacco is good for you.  Our position is that
adults in a free country should be allowed to make adult choices for themselves,
providing those rights don’t infringe on the rights of others...especially when it
comes to the use of LEGAL products.  For those who still don’t “get it,” Mark Brnovich
of the Goldwater Institute will help set you straight on why smoking bans in bars and
restaurants are just plain...un-American.  Check out his explanation and more on the
war on tobacco in today’s News & Views “Smoke Screen” EXTRA at:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

Oh, and by the way...Happy Birthday to my baby brother Mark out in Las Vegas!
_____________________________________

ARE WE THERE YET?  ARE WE THERE YET? ARE…

“The amazing thing to me is that there actually are those Americans who are asking
rather impatiently when the war on terror will end.  Well, I have news for them: It
ain’t never gonna end. Not in my lifetime or the lifetimes of those who come after me.
And anyone who thinks differently is an idiot. . . . There may be lulls but that is
all. Capturing or killing the likes of Osama bin Ladin won’t change much. There are
many fledgling Osamas ready and eager to take his place.  Eternal vigilance may limit
the damage terrorists can inflict. But it will never entirely contain them.”

- Lyn Nofziger, “Musings,” 5/20/04

CHAOS CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

“A U.S. withdrawal from the Middle East will CAUSE chaos, of course. Then again, a
U.S. intervention in the Middle East has caused chaos already. And, during those
periods of history when the U.S. was neither intervening in nor withdrawing from the
Middle East, there was . . . chaos. The situation is akin to the famous complaint
women have against men: failure to acknowledge that not every problem can be fixed.
Sometimes the best thing is just a little sympathy. America had everyone's sympathy
after the World Trade towers were attacked. We can get that sympathy back if we limit
our foreign policy objectives to whining.”

- Humorist P.J. O’Rourke

THE BENCHWARMER

“We know John Kerry is a decorated Vietnam war hero, chiefly because he has the
annoying habit of reminding us of it every chance he gets. We know he came home and
spoke out against the war and maybe or maybe not threw his medals or ribbons or
whatever over the White House fence. We know some of his compatriots thought he was a
good guy and some thought he was a phony, and, and, and - all of it ancient history.
But after that - what? In his nearly two decades as a United States Senator, John
Kerry has not stood out as a leader on any key issue.”

- Columnist Cheri Jacobus

IS THIS A SLUMP?  IT SURE LOOKS LIKE A SLUMP

“According to the latest series of Zogby tracking polls in the battleground states,
Zogby now claims that John Kerry would score a 320-218 electoral vote victory over
President Bush if the election were held today. The polls were all conducted within
the past week for the Wall Street Journal. . . . If the President's approval ratings
continue to hover in the low 40s this fall -- as nearly all polls currently show --
even down-ballot Republicans around the nation could start feeling the painful
consequences.”

- Ron Gunzburger, Politics1, 5/25/04

BRINGING OUT THE BOO-BIRDS

“Did you hear about the college commencement speaker who was almost booed off the
stage Sunday because his commencement address was an anti-Bush rant? The speaker was
E.L. Doctorow. The college, God bless it forever, was Hofstra University on New York's
Long Island.

“...I am a conservative. I have spoken at three college commencements.  Each time I
spoke I talked about the students, and the life ahead of them, and the nature of their
achievement. I spoke to them about them. I didn't tell them Jimmy Carter is a retard
or Bill Clinton is a pig. It would have been wrong to do that. It would have been
boorish. It would have deserved boos.  I'm glad that's what Eddy Doctorow got this
Sunday from what appear to be his intellectual and moral superiors on Long Island. Go
Hofstra.”

- Columnist Peggy Noonan

COZ vs. THE KNUCKLEHEADS

“Bill Cosby has provided a lot of laughs for millions of Americans over the years but
black ‘leaders’ were not laughing after he lashed out at those black parents who buy
their children expensive sneakers instead of something educational. He also denounced
both those children and those adults in the black community who refuse to speak the
king's English.  ‘Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these
knuckleheads,’ Cosby said. ‘You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of
your mouth.’ He also mocked those who referred to ‘the incarcerated’ as ‘political
prisoners.’ "

- Columnist Thomas Sowell

THE WIZARD OF “COZ”

*  “These are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing
Coca-Cola. People getting shot over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we
are outraged, [saying] 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing
with the pound cake in his hand?"

*  "I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an
orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were
you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the
father?"

*  ". . . we cannot blame white people . . . ."

*  "People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone
wrong? . . . People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't
that a sign of something, or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it
a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up to the crack and got all
type of needles (piercing) going through her body? What part of Africa did this come
from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a d--- thing
about Africa."

*  "With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of
them are in jail. Brown versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's
problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. . . . They are standing on the
corner and they can't speak English."

- Bill Cosby last week at ceremonies in Washington marking the 50th anniversary of the
Brown v. Board of Education decision

HOME SCHOOL BLUES IN JERSEY

“More than 400 families demonstrated on the New Jersey statehouse steps in protest of
a bill that would set first-ever standards for home schooling,” reports UPI.  “Carolee
Adams, a home-schooling mother from Montvale, N.J., told the Newark Star-Ledger
Tuesday the proposed legislation...would lead to the harassment of home-schoolers.”
Yep, it sure would.

Assemblyman Loretta Weinberg, the Bergan County Democrat sponsoring the bill, said, "I
have some questions about making sure bare, minimum standards exist.”  Any bets on
whether or not Ms. Weinberg is endorsed...OK, owned lock, stock and barrel...by the
teachers union?  I’d say, bet the farm on it.  Vegas wouldn’t even take odds on THAT
one.

Here’s MY question:  What is Assemblywoman Weinberg doing to make sure the “bare,
minimum standards exist” in the lousy, stinkin’ public schools?  Get off the
home-schoolers backs until you have your own glass house in order, Ms. Weinberg.  Man,
these Jack-and-Jill water-carrying union puppets REALLY tick me off.

REWARDING ILLEGALS

“The Governor of Kansas, Kathleen Sebelius, has now signed into law a measure that
allows some illegal aliens to attend Kansas colleges and universities while paying
instate tuition.  Eight other states have this law.  So, as things stand now a natural
born citizen of this country who has violated no laws, and who happens to live out of
state, will have to pay more to become a Kansas Jayhawk than would a person who
resides in Kansas illegally.   Law abiding citizens of Kansas will now be paying to
foot the bill for non-citizens who are here illegally to attend college.  Only in
America.”

- Talk show host Neal Boortz, 5/25/04

FISH OR CUT BAIT ON IMMIGRATION

“One of President Bush's most recent ‘compassionate’ initiatives has indirectly led to
more horrific deaths along the Arizona-Mexico border. Bush's proposal for a
quasi-amnesty for illegal aliens has been interpreted by poor Mexicans as a welcome
mat, increasing the rate of attempted border crossings and the tragic deaths that go
with them. Sixty-one people have died along the Arizona border since last October, a
threefold increase from the rate of the previous year.

“The bodies are a testament to America's broken immigration system. If we really want
to encourage more Mexicans to come here, we should have the decency to help ensure
their safe passage. If we don't -- as most politicians, including Bush, would maintain
-- then all talk of any sort of amnesty should be dropped, and our seriousness about
enforcing immigration laws should be broadcast so clearly that it is understood even
in the far reaches of Mexico.”

- Columnist Rich Lowry

SURVEY SAYS!

Washington insiders say that while the issue of illegal immigration stirs up a lot of
fuss, it’s NOT an issue which swings votes one way or the other in an election
campaign.  Are they correct?  Is a candidate’s position on illegal immigration an
issue which, in and of itself, could swing your vote one way or the other in a given
election?

*  Yes
*  No
*  Maybe

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

TODAY ON THE DISCUSSION BOARD

A rather animated e-debate has been taking place on our Discussion Board over the
North Carolina GOP Chairman’s decision to ban the Log Cabin Republicans from having a
booth at last weekend’s state convention.  There are some very good, rational posts
over the brouhaha...and then there are those which support the decision from
“Taborites.”  Yes, NC congressional candidate/clown Nathan Tabor and a number or his
supporters have weighed in on the issue, apparently thinking using fake names would
fool us into not knowing who was behind the more ridiculous and juvenile “anti-fag”
posts. Bozos.

Anyway, there were some folks who maintained it was perfectly OK for gays to be
Republicans and attend the convention...just not to have a booth there which would
advertise the fact that they were...gay.  Which would be fine provided other special
interest Republican organizations were also banned...such as Republican women, college
Republicans, Hispanic Republicans, etc.

And some of the more enlightened writers picked up on this and even went so far as to
suggest something I’ve been saying for years: Let’s get rid of ALL Republican
organizations based on anything other than a political ideology or issue.  We could
have social Republicans, libertarian Republicans, economic Republicans, tax cutting
Republicans, pro-life Republicans, pro-choice Republicans, pro-defense Republicans,
Republicans In Name Only, etc.  But separating people by race, gender, age, national
origin, sexual persuasion...that’s what the LEFT does.  We should be better than that.

Anyway, the role of gays within the conservative movement in general, and the
Republican Party in particular, is a divisive and controversial matter.  If you
haven’t done so already, surf over to the Discussion Board, read through the exchanges
(including the mindless homophobic ones from the “Taborites”) and add your own
comments if you’d like.  Just go to:  http://blog.chuckmuth.com/blog/

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439