If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) has earned the nickname “Dr. No” for his refusal to vote for
any legislation not authorized by the Constitution.  Ben Franklin wisely admonished
that those who would give up freedom for a little sense of security deserved neither.
Now mix the two along with the Patriot Act and you’ll get a frightening color-coded
look at where this country is headed during this Era of Terrorism.  Catch Rep. Paul’s
thoughts on the subject on today’s News & Views EXTRA page at:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm
_____________________________________

KILLING OFF THE TSA

“House Aviation Subcommittee Chairman John Mica...and other Republicans, who were
never entirely comfortable with creating a new bureaucracy (the Transportation
Security Administration), want to return all airport security screener jobs to the
private sector, where they were before Sept. 11, 2001. . . . Mica argues that private
companies will do a better, more efficient job at the screening that currently is the
TSA's primary function.”

- FoxNews.com, 5/31/04

THE PROPER ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

“(G)overnment has got a responsibility to support and nurture institutions; foster
institutions that provide hope and stability,” President Bush told religion editors
and writers at the White House last week.  “The role of government is to help foster
cultural change as well as to protect institutions in our society that are an
important part of the culture.”

“The role of government is to help foster cultural change”?  Would somebody please
point to where this appears in the Constitution.”  Somehow I can’t seem to find it in
my copy.

A REGULAR GUY

“Ever notice how these politicians try to relate to the every day voter?  Like today,
John Kerry was talking to some union workers about the rising price of gasoline and he
said it was so expensive now...he has to raise his main sail all the way up and tack
back and forth to get back to his summer home in Nantucket.”

- Tonight Show host Jay Leno

NEW SURVEY SAYS!

Will the new Medicare prescription drug discount cards be of significant benefit to
senior citizens once they learn about and start using them?

*  Yes
*  No
*  Not Sure

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

WHAT MULTICULTURALISM HATH WROUGHT

“WSJS radio (North Carolina) has suspended broadcast of the ads of all candidates for
the 5th Congressional District as it tries to determine whether Vernon Robinson
legally can air an English language ad that gives a required disclaimer about how it
was paid for in Spanish.

“In the advertisement, an announcer says that illegal immigrants ‘sponge off the
American taxpayer’ and ‘commit heinous crimes against us.’  The prevalence of Spanish
in the United States can make Americans feel like they are in The Twilight Zone, the
ad says, as the theme from that program plays in the background.  The ad ends in
Spanish with the words, ‘Yo, Gringo! This episode of The Twilight Zone was paid for by
Robinson for Congress.’

“Ads for federal candidates are required to include the name of the organization that
paid for or sponsored them. But Robinson said that the Federal Communications
Commission and the Federal Election Commission offer no guidance about whether the
disclaimer has to be in English.  ‘We agree that it's hard for most of the citizens to
understand the disclaimer because it's in Spanish,’ Robinson said. ‘That's our point
and why we want English to be the official language.’ "

- Winston-Salem Journal, 6/1/04

STARVING THE BEAST

“Milton Friedman, one of the world's most accomplished economists, has stated that
lower taxes are the best way to limit the size of government: ‘I believe there is one
and only one way: the way parents control spendthrift children, cutting their
allowance. For government, that means cutting taxes.’ This ‘Starve the Beast’ theory
received considerable attention in the 1980s. Many believed that Ronald Reagan's tax
cuts helped impose spending discipline and thus arrest the growth of government.

“...President Reagan...used his tax cuts to force reductions in spending. And despite
a Democrat-dominated House, Mr. Reagan managed to cut real nondefense spending by 10
percent during his first term. President Bush, on the other hand, has aggressively
sought to expand the burden of government.  This spending explosion is the real
problem. Today's fiscal mess has nothing to do with the ‘Starve the Beast’ theory or
the tax cuts. But it has everything to do with Republicans giving up the hard work of
promoting limited government.”

- Veronique de Rugy of the American Enterprise Institute

MORE GREAT ADVICE FOR THE LP

“I spent a good bit of time on Sunday watching the (Libertarian Party) convention on
CSPAN.  Again, as in years past, I noticed that a lot of attention was paid to
America's drug policy. . . . The Libertarian Party needs to grow.  We're not going to
be able to grow on our own.  In order to grow we have to be able to convince friends
and strangers to give consideration to the Libertarian philosophy and principles.

“So, let's say you meet someone who is willing to listen...for awhile.  This person is
going to base his decision on just how long he's willing to give you to state your
case based on the first words out of your mouth.  Let's say that those first words are
‘We need to end the war on drugs in this country.’  Now, if you had 30 minutes to make
your case success would be almost guaranteed.  You didn't have 30 minutes.  You had 10
seconds, and you've lost him.  He changes the conversation and leaves with the idea
that all Libertarians want to do is sit in the corner and smoke dope.

“But what if you use those first 10 seconds to say ‘The Libertarian Party doesn't
believe that government should be able to take your private property away from you and
hand it over to a private developer’?  Then you have his attention. . . . Or what if
you say ‘The Libertarian Party supports a tax reform plan that would allow you to
receive 100% of your paycheck every two weeks ... with no deductions for income taxes,
Social Security or Medicare’?  Your friend is going to want to learn more.

“The message, folks.  Attract people with the message, and make it a message that can
apply to everyone.”

- Talk show host Neal Boortz

FALSE BRAVADO

“We fielded candidates for 255 of the 435 seats in the U.S. House, as well as 25 of
the 33 Senate seats up for election, making the Libertarian Party the first third
party in 80 years to contest a majority of the seats in Congress," proudly boasts the
Libertarian Party website.

Here’s where these folks just don’t grasp political reality.

They lost EVERY ONE of those races.  They are electoral losers, regardless of how
highly you might think of their political philosophy.  And until someone over there in
the LP recognizes that a political party’s job is to actually ELECT its candidates,
not just throw a bunch of names on the ballot, they will continue to be LOSERS.  Is
anyone over there listening?  Hello? Can you hear me now?  Can you hear me now?  Good
grief.

CHARLES JAY & THE CHAMBERS OF SECRETS

“Boxing publicist and gambling promoter Charles Jay of Indiana has already managed to
do what most third party Presidential hopefuls fail to do: qualify for ballot status
for November. Jay will appear on the Utah ballot as the Presidential nominee of the
new Personal Choice Party (PCP) -- and hopes to qualify for the ballot in several
other states, while running as a write-in elsewhere.

“...As for a VP runningmate, Jay selected his friend and former Ivory Soap
model-turned-1970s porn star Marilyn Chambers. She made her name starring in such
X-rated 1970s and 1980s classics as Behind the Green Door and Insatiable. In the late
1990s, Chambers made a successful return to porn, and she continues to appear in porn
flicks today -- making her one of the oldest stars to regularly appear these days in
mainstream porn. This 2004 VP run is Chambers' first foray into politics.”

- Politics1, 6/1/04

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439