If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

There’s a bill before the Senate (S. 2328) which would allow re-importation of
prescription drugs from Spain, Portugal, Canada and Greece.  And there are some
conservatives out there who support this on free-market grounds.  Now, if you’re one
of those folks you just might want to take a look at who’s backing this bill and then
ask yourself if maybe you might not be in the wrong camp. Read all about it in this
new “Muth’s Truths” column posted today on our News & Views EXTRA page at:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm.
_____________________________________

POLITICAL RHETORIC COSTING AMERICAN LIVES

“At first I was very depressed and hurt for his family, but then I got angry.
Americans need to understand what is going on and unite in this effort to stop
terrorism.  I don't care if you are conservative, liberal, Democrat or Republican. The
name-calling needs to stop, they need to stop calling the president a liar because it
is emboldening these people and just making their resolve stronger and they think they
are winning.  It breaks my heart, this guy was not doing anything but working."

- Rick Warren of Lexington, KY, on the beheading of Paul Johnson by al Qaeda
terrorists in Saudi Arabia, Washington Times, 6/19/04

TERRORISTS VS. POW’S

“Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld said yesterday that he approved the secret
detention of a suspected terrorist in Iraq after receiving a request from the CIA.  .
. . The Geneva Conventions call for prompt registration of the prisoner of war and
access by the Red Cross.  . . . There's only one problem with all of this: terrorists
are not prisoners of war, and thus are not entitled to the protections afforded to
them by the Geneva Conventions. . . . To be entitled to prisoner of war status, the
combatant must conduct operations according to the laws and customs of war.  For
example, be part of a chain of command, wear a uniform and bear arms openly.
Terrorists and spies are excluded.  Those are the rules.”

- Talk show host Neal Boortz, 6/18/04

SURVEY SAYS!

Should the U.S. government prohibit the use of torture against terrorists, even if it
could save American lives?

*  Yes
*  No
*  Not Sure

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

TALE OF TWO PRISONS

“Why have the media continued to report, obsess and revel in the same old humiliation
photos from U.S.-controlled Abu Ghraib even as they ignore never-before-aired
videotape that documents the hacking, maiming, bloody torture that took place at Abu
Ghraib under Saddam Hussein?  Terror expert Michael Ledeen told the New York Post's
Deborah Orin, who posed this excellent question, that ‘most journalists want Bush to
lose.’ "

- Columnist Diana West

LET’S GO TO THE VIDEO...NOT

“I spent a good bit of time last evening watching the coverage of the 9/11
Commission's last public hearing.  We heard tapes from the hijackers of the four
commercial airliners.  We saw computerized depictions of the paths these airliners
took on their way to murder over 3,000 people.  What we didn't see, though, was
pictures of the airplanes crashing into the World Trade Towers.  Our media is
perfectly willing to show us video of the so-called abuse at the Abu Ghraib prison
over and over, but how long has it been since you've seen those airplanes exploding
through the towers?”

- Talk show host Neal Boortz, 6/18/04

REPLACING TENET

“The next CIA director should be someone who understands the world situation and the
intelligence business.  But he ought not come from the CIA itself, where old bonds of
loyalty could impede him from making necessary reforms.  He must have skill in
managing a large enterprise. And, like (current CIA director George) Tenet, he should
have the ear of the president and good ties on Capitol Hill. . . . My candidate would
be Dick Cheney.  He fits all the specifications above.  And if he were to agree to
serve at CIA, Cheney would free up the vice presidential nomination for someone like,
say, (former New York City mayor Rudy) Giuliani…”

- Columnist Jack Kelly

LET THE TRIBUTES BEGIN

“A postage stamp honoring Ronald Reagan will be issued next year, the Postal Service
announced yesterday.  Postal policy is to honor prominent Americans with a stamp no
sooner than 10 years after their death, except for former presidents, who the agency
said can be honored on their first birth anniversary after death. Mr. Reagan was born
Feb. 6, 1911, and died June 5.”

- Greg Pierce’s “Inside Politics,” 6/17/04

DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND…

Many of you have expressed an interest in reading the full transcript of the 1967
debate where Ronald Reagan mopped up the floor with Bobby Kennedy, leading Kennedy to
tell and aid he never wanted to go head-to-head with the Gipper again.  Your wish is
my command.  Catch the full exchange here:
http://www.cs.umb.edu/jfklibrary/rfk-reag.htm

THE SIMPLE LIFE

“A generation ago, there was not near the amount of sex, violence and profanity on
television and in movies that there is today.  But I still remember how my parents
dealt with it.  They would get up and turn the television off.”

- Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas)

THE DIFFERENCE A REPUBLICAN GUV CAN MAKE

Haley Barbour, former Republican National Committee chairman and now governor of
Mississippi, signed a bill this week putting limits on out-of-control lawsuits which
will certainly help besieged small business owners and doctors.  Prior to Barbour’s
election and passage of this bill, Mississippi was considered a lawsuit hell-hole and
playground for unscrupulous ambulance-chasers.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION’S PANDORA’S BOX

The guilty verdict of a Maryland man accused of fatally beating his 2-year-old
step-son is now up in the air after it was discovered that one of the jurors in his
trial was not a legal citizen.  Jury pools in Maryland are drawn from both voter
registration rolls and driver’s license registrations.  Last October, Maryland’s
Democrat attorney general, Joe Curran, ruled that the DMV had to issue driver’s
licenses to immigrants, even if they couldn’t “prove [their] lawful presence” in the
United States.

By the way: Have we mentioned lately the fact that Rep. Chris Cannon (R-Juarez) is
leading the charge out in Utah to provide illegal aliens driver’s licenses, reduced
tuition fees and amnesty.  Just checking.

BOORTZ BLASTS LP FOR BLOWING IT

Radio talk show host Neal Boortz is a unabashed card-carrying, small “l” libertarian
who has had it with the political stupidity of the Libertarian Party.  He spoke at the
LP convention a couple weeks ago...for the last time.  He says they “blew it” big
time...and boy did they ever.  It appears folks such as Boortz and myself belong to a
political movement without a party...because the LP is incompetent and the GOP is all
hat and no cattle.  Anyway, if you’d like to read Boortz’s post-convention commentary,
go to:  http://www.townhall.com/columnists/nealboortz/nb20040618.shtml

SO WHAT IF THE KIDS ISN’T LEARNING?

They walked to the edge of the cliff...and decided not to jump after all.

At the Southern Baptist Convention this week, a proposal urging Baptists to pull their
kids out of the government schools was defeated.  The exodus would have been a major
step, so it wasn’t all that surprising that members would get cold feet.  But it was
the reason that Rev. Bobby Welch, the newly elected SBC president, gave for the
decision which was disturbing.

While some have suggested that too many Baptists didn’t want to sacrifice their SUVs
and summer vacations in order to pay the tuition required to place their kids in
private schools, Welch, according to the Associated Press, “called it a mistake to
withdraw Christian influence from public schools, saying it would hinder evangelism.”

So the fact that Christian kids are graduating from government education camps without
the ability to read their own diplomas or make change from a cash register is less
important than the “zealous preaching and spreading of the gospel” (Webster’s II)?
Hello?  Doesn’t it make it more difficult to preach and spread the gospel IF THE KIDS
CAN’T READ IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

There may have been a lot of good, legitimate reasons for not encouraging Baptist
parents to pull their kids out of government-run schools (I can’t think of any, but
there might be some out there), but keeping kids in educational ignorance and
mediocrity simply to use them as tools to indoctrinate other kids into their religious
beliefs defies common sense.  Religious fervor sure can cloud one’s thinking
sometimes, can’t it?

GOOD ADVICE

"I think it's very important for people who are serving to make sure there's a
separation of church and state."

- George W. Bush, 6/15/04

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439