If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

Guess what the Chinese are trading in their little bikes for?  It ain’t Volkswagens.
Meanwhile, back in the states, Sen. John McCain is trying to legislatively impose on
this country the Kyoto Treaty which will likely cost a huge number of American jobs;
the enviro-wackos are mounting a new effort to undermine companies via hostile
takeovers; and the global warming hysterics in the UN are predicting an all-new
catastrophe: the global dust bowl.  Read all about it in the latest edition of “Hot
Air,” posted on today’s News & Views EXTRA page at:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm.
_____________________________________

KILL OR BE KILLED

“Al Qaeda and brother terrorists and sympathizers live in a demonic intellectual and
moral world alien to western civilization. . . . Since reasoning is futile, killing,
capturing and punishing is the only moral answer to the terrorism wickedness.”

- Columnist Bruce Fein

EYE FOR AN EYE, HEAD FOR A HEAD

Taliban guerillas cut off the heads of an Afghan soldier and an Afghan interpreter
Monday night.  Afghanistan Gen. Namatullah Tokhi responded by capturing four Taliban
guerillas later that day...and cutting off THEIR heads.  It’s getting harder and
harder for cooler heads to prevail in that part of the world.

COFFEE?  TEA?  BULLET BETWEEN THE EYES?

“Flight attendants on commercial airlines are still being trained to cooperate with
hijackers and be victims rather than fight back, despite the attacks of September 11.
. . . The September 11 panel revealed that hijackers ‘beat the last line of defense on
the four flights, because the professionals had been trained to cooperate with
hijackers, not fight them,’ (Patricia Friend, president of the Association of Flight
Attendants) said.”

- Washington Times, 6/23/04

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Muckraking filmmaker Michael Moore’s new distributor says they’ll take help from
terror organization Hezbollah in getting the new bush-whacking “Fahrenhype 911” into
the movie theaters of Middle East countries, reports WorldNetDaily.com.  Front Row is
welcoming assistance from Hezbollah in getting the film, sure to further inflame
anti-American passions, placed in countries such as Lebanon, Syria and the United Arab
Emirates, leading Melanie Morgan of Move America Forward to ask of Moore, “Whose side
are you on?”

Um, no offense to Miss Morgan, but isn’t it obvious?

REWRITING HISTORY

"By Senator Kerry's definition, things actually got better during the Carter years and
then got worse during the Reagan-Bush years.  That makes a total of two people who
remember the late '70s as a golden age of the American economy, Jimmy Carter and John
Kerry. By now, even Jimmy Carter is probably beginning to have his doubts."

- Vice President Dick Cheney in Las Vegas on Monday

LET’S PLAY HARDBALL

Democrat presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry has been AWOL from his senate duties
practically this entire session.  Campaign events have taken precedence over his
senate responsibilities.  Priorities, you know.

Well, fine.  Another Massachusetts problem.  But get this.  Kerry cancelled a campaign
trip to New Mexico on Tuesday to be in Washington to cast a vote on a veterans bill
sponsored by Sen. Tom Daschle.  I don’t know if you know this or not, but Sen. Kerry
served in Vietnam and never misses an opportunity to remind people of that fact.  This
vote would be yet another perfect opportunity.

Only, a funny thing happened on the way to press cameras.  Senate Majority Leader Bill
Frist decided to play a little political hardball (yahoo!!) by postponing the vote.
“The Daschle amendment appears to have been put on the floor so Senator Kerry, who
hasn’t been here all year, missed 80 percent of the votes, parachutes in for one day
and then he’s out of here, can vote.”  Kerry was last heard whining about having to
cancel his campaign events for a cancelled vote.  Awwww.

But it wasn’t a complete loss.  While in town Kerry DID get to cast a vote for another
bill...cutting missile defense programs.

PLAYING POLITICS

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) criticized his senate colleagues this week
on their decision to hold a vote on the federal marriage amendment next month even
though they KNOW they don’t have the votes to pass it.  “I really think the Senate
should vote on this when they have the votes to pass it,” DeLay said.  “That’s what we
are trying to do.”

SMASHING A MYTH

“SpaceShipOne, the first privately funded manned spacecraft, shattered more than the
boundary of outer space: it destroyed forever the myth that space exploration can only
be done by the government. . . . We often hear that the most ambitious projects can
only be undertaken by government, but in fact the opposite is true. The more ambitious
a project is, the more it demands to be broken into achievable, profit-making
steps--and freed from the unavoidable politicizing of government-controlled science.
If space development is to be transformed from an expensive national bauble whose
central purpose is to assert national pride to a practical industry, it will only be
by unleashing the creative force of free and rational minds.”

- Robert Garmong of the Ayn Rand Institute

TAX THE RICH, FEED THE POOR…’TIL WE’RE ALL POOR

The New Jersey legislature this week passed an $800 million tax increase...but only on
the “rich” people who government thinks make too much money and should share their
good fortune with everyone else.  Once Democrat Gov. Jim McGreevy gleefully signs the
redistribution bill, look for a new housing boom in Galt’s Gulch.

NUTHIN’ COULD BE FINER THAN A TROUGH IN CAROLINA

“Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) has named the South Carolina legislature
Porker of the Month for overriding almost every one of Governor Mark Sanford¹s (R) 106
budget vetoes of wasteful, pork-barrel spending.  After Gov. Sanford vetoed almost $36
million of a $5.5 billion fiscal 2005 budget, the Republican-controlled legislature
breezed through 105 overrides in the House and 99 overrides in the Senate with little
or no debate.  Gov. Sanford responded by walking into the House chamber carrying two
pigs, named ‘Pork’ and ‘Barrel,’ infuriating lawmakers.  Some of the 106 items vetoed
by Gov. Sanford included $380,000 for a stadium expansion to accommodate a Palmetto
Bowl Football Game and $250,000 for the Freedom Weekend Aloft balloon festival.”

- Citizens Against Government Waste

BUSH VS. REAGAN

“While some of the recent spending explosion is related to the fight against
terrorism, it is worth noting that inflation-adjusted non-defense discretionary
spending during the Bush administration will have risen by more than 25 percent
through fiscal 2005. And that assumes a virtual freeze in such spending for fiscal
2005, which begins Oct. 1. By way of contrast, comparable non-defense spending during
the first Reagan administration actually declined by nearly 10 percent.”

- Washington Times editorial, 6/23/04

THE HIGH COST OF COMPASSIONATE CONSERVATISM

“Here's a revealing quote from the president on his political philosophy:  ‘[T]he role
of government is to stand there and say, 'We're going to help you.' The job of the
federal government is to fund the providers who are actually making a difference.’

“He's referring to a government-funded attempt to help people in troubled marriages.
It would be hard to think of a realm more private than a marriage, but the president
believes that the government has a role there. I'm sure his motives are genuine and
sincere. But anyone still deluded in thinking that Bush conservatism means limited
government should open their eyes. Bush believes in big government. He just believes
it should be funded by debts the next generation will have to pay.”

- Columnist Andrew Sullivan

GOP ABANDONING THE CONSEVATIVE SHIP

“When I first read (Lyn Nofziger’s) words (in yesterday’s News & Views), it was almost
as if there was an echo in the room, of my own thoughts. I, too, believe that the
Republican party is abandoning conservative principles, as the Democratic party did
thirty or forty years ago. I believe it was Alabama Governor George Wallace who said
that there was not a dime's difference between the Democrats and Republicans. George
W. Bush's presidency has convinced me that he is right. I left the Democratic party
(or, rather, it left me) about thirty years ago, and I find the Republicans are now
abandoning true conservatism today.”

- News & Views reader Bruce Drotleff

HELP WANTED: ELECTABLE CANDIDATES

“Hi Chuck:  The more I read quotes from libertarians or libertarian-leaning
Republicans, the more I am convinced that libertarianism is becoming a more and more
accurate description of my own political affiliation.

“...I joined the Republican Party because I have very strong, very conservative views
on taxes, fiscal policy, defense, homeland security and military issues.  I support
lower taxes, a small federal government, a strong military and the war on terrorism.
On the other hand, I want the federal government out of my wallet, out of private,
personal issues and out of how private businesses choose to operate or compensate
employees.

“...If the Libertarian Party had any chance at all of actually winning an election,
and if they would nominate normal people as candidates, I would probably switch
parties.  I fully support President Bush, and I will vote for him again, but there are
lots of issues where I differ with him.

“I am outraged at the Medicare prescription drug benefit, the No Child Left Behind
Act, the funding for the National Endowment for the Arts, the increase in the budget
for NASA, and other spending that we have no right to be doing when we have a budget
deficit.  I had hoped that, with a Republican in the White House and a Republican
majority in Congress, that we would see some major slashing and burning of the federal
budget (especially with regard to social entitlement programs).

“...It's too bad the Libertarian Party just can't seem to get its act together and
nominate some truly serious, heavy-hitting, electable candidates.  I think they would
get a lot of support from both sides of the political aisle.”

- News & Views reader Lisa Haber of Timonium, Maryland

IN DEFENSE OF STATES RIGHTS

“Dear Chuck:  I read the comments made by (former Rep. Bob) Barr to the Senate (on the
federal marriage amendment) and I must say thank you for making that testimony
available.  The whole FMA situation is something that frankly, has me in a bit of a
quandary.  I absolutely oppose same sex marriage.  I cannot, in good conscience, do
otherwise.

“I have heard comments on both sides of the issue and, frankly, find myself more torn
on the issue than settled.  A rather unusual circumstance for me.  I've heard Lars
Larson talk on the issue, read your remarks on the issue, and heard DOZENS of
politicians comment on the issue.  That is just the tip of the iceberg, as it were.

“The issue of same sex marriage is one I feel rather strongly about, and I admit, I
was a fence sitter leaning toward saying, ‘Hey, do it!  Pass the amendment and settle
the issue.’  Then I read Mr. Barr's comments.  Spoken like a true Southerner, he
summed up the constitutionality of the issue quite well, in a manner in which I can
sympathize with.

“His comment:  ‘To be clear, I oppose any marriage save that between one man and one
woman.  And, I would do all in my power to ensure that such a formulation is the only
one operative in my home state of Georgia.  However, do I think that I can tell Alaska
how to govern itself on this issue?  Or California?  Or Massachusetts?  No, I cannot.
Those states are free to make their own decisions, even if they are decisions I would
characterize as bad.’

“It really hit home with me. . . . Although I support preventing the legality of same
sex marriage, I cannot, in good conscience agree with an Constitutional Amendment that
would jeopardize state's rights.  I resent any legislation that would impose the will
of others living outside of my Dear Oregon on my fellow Oregonians.  It would be
hypocritical of me to impose my will on folks in other states.

“Because of this, I will urge Senators Gordon Smith R-OR and Ron Wyden D-OR to oppose
this amendment.  I will continue to support the efforts of many of my fellow
Oregonians to settle the issue WITHIN Oregon.  I can not agree more with Mr. Barr,
this should, and must, remain a state issue and not have this imposed at the federal
Level.  Thank you again for helping me to settle on this issue and thank you for
giving me the opportunity to read Mr. Barr's words.”

- Steven S. Sturman of Springfield, OR

SURVEY SAYS!

Steven Parish of cigarette maker Philip Morris recently told Congressional Quarterly
that “The public wants more regulation” of tobacco.  Do you support new FDA regulation
of tobacco products?

*  Yes
*  No
*  Not Sure

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439