As I mentioned in an email a couple of days ago, we've been working on
optimizing the handler server. Checks for new versions of handlers
now run 5-7 times faster. (This will also reduce downtime caused by
sudden "bursts" of traffic.) The next version of NC will also have
optimizations that will improve the speed by another factor of 5.

David