From Melissa Lammey:

Professor Miller,

I am a philosopher and educator living in Florida. I just saw your
lecture posted on You Tube regarding the 2008 election. I know you
are right. I came to the same conclusion myself, but the confusion
only lifted for me after the nomination of Palin. I realized the
exact argument you made about 'creating a narrative'. I started a
petition online for Palin to voluntarily release her college GPA. My
goal was to expose her blatant lack of qualifications and raise
questions about her nomination in people's minds. I believe those in
power have become so brazen, as you explained, that it might just
take a little pointing out. I agree that the fight will likely start
on November 5. Still, I wanted to send you what I wrote and
distributed to friends.

SUMMARY

This election year has brought much discussion of the experience of
our candidates, but little of their education. When we citizens are
hired in the private sector, we are expected to provide information
regarding our education as well as our experience. We should be
allowed to consider the same in deciding who to elect as our nation's
leaders. Further, candidates should provide this information at our
request.

Senators McCain and Biden have experience to the extent
that information on their educational backgrounds is less relevant.
We know who they are, we know what they will do. Senator Obama and
Governor Palin, however, have not been tested to such an extent by
experience. For this reason, their education and their performance in
academia is more relevant. We know that Senator Obama has achieved
degrees with honors in fields relevant to the office of the
Presidency from two of the most respected academic institutions in
the United States.

We do know that Governor Palin has a four-year degree in journalism
and communications.
However, we do not know how that education is relevant to the office
of the Presidency.

Regardless, Governor Palin should allow us to consider her grade
point average as a reflection of her ability to follow through on a
four-year task.

LETTER

We, the undersigned, respectfully petition you, Governor Sarah Palin,
to voluntarily release your college grade point average for voter
consideration. We believe that education and experience are important
factors to consider in deciding the election of our Vice-President.
Excellence in academia indicates qualities that are qualifiers for
leadership. Excelling in one's education reveals the ability to
comprehend, analyze, and synthesize large amounts of information. It
also reveals that one can be dedicated to a series of complex tasks
over the course of four years that will, ultimately, achieve a higher
goal. We believe the leaders of our nation should possess these
qualities. We hold this belief with great conviction given the
challenges we currently face as Americans.

You, Governor Palin, have asked us to elect you to the second highest
office of the land. We would like to consider your performance
in academia in making this very important decision. Please, Governor
Palin, release your college grade point average for our consideration.

  If you accept my arguments as presented in this summary and letter,
please sign my petition and distribute it to as many people as you
see fit. The petition may be signed anonymously by clicking 'do not
show my name' on the signature form. I am the only person who will
see information provided here. You may access the petition by
clicking on this link:

<http://www.thepetitionsite.com/225/petition-to-alaska-governor-sarah-palin-to-voluntarily-realease-her-college-grade-point-average>Petition

to Palin: Voluntarily Release Your GPA

My best regards,