http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-te.briefs184oct18,0,4120802.story

October 18, 2008

WASHINGTON An ACORN community organizer received a death threat and
the liberal-leaning voter registration group's Boston and
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/us/washington/king-county/seattle-PLGEO100101101011245.topic>Seattle

offices were vandalized Thursday, reflecting mounting tensions over
its role in registering 1.3 million mostly poor and minority
Americans to vote next month. Attorneys for the Association of
Community Organizers for Reform Now were notifying the
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/crime-law-justice/crimes/federal-bureau-of-investigation-ORGOV000008.topic>FBI

and the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division of the incidents,
said Brian Kettenring, a Florida-based spokesman for the group. It
was disclosed Thursday that the FBI is examining whether thousands of
fraudulent voter-registration applications submitted by some ACORN
workers were part of a systematic effort or isolated incidents.
Kettenring said that a senior ACORN staffer in Cleveland, after
appearing on television this week, got an e-mail that said she "is
going to have her life ended." A female staffer in Providence, R.I.,
got a threatening call from someone who said words to the effect of
"We know you get off work at 9," then uttered racial epithets, he
said.

 From Sun news services