A McCain "Win" Will Be Theft:
Resistance Is Planned
By David Swanson

http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/36993

If your television declares John McCain the president elect on the
evening of November 4th, your television will be lying. You should
immediately pick up your pre-packed bags and head straight to the
White House in Washington, D.C., which we will surround and shut down
until this attempt at a third illegitimate presidency is reversed.

A McCain "win" will not be illegitimate because I disagree with his
policies, but because he himself has rendered it illegitimate. He and
his campaign and allied supporters have sought to illegally remove
hundreds of thousands of voters from the rolls, fraudulently
registered people as Republicans without their knowledge and against
their will, obstructed voter registration drives, falsely warned
students against voting where they attend school, falsely accused
community groups of voter registration fraud, falsely alleged the
widespread existence of voter fraud, and encouraged supporters to
falsely believe McCain's opponent is a foreign terrorist through
speeches, recorded phone messages, and flyers. Already in early
voting in a number of states there have been cases of votes on
electronic machines visibly flipping to McCain or McKinney when
intended for Obama. We will see McCain supporters on November 4th
challenging people's right to vote, seeking to force people to vote
on provisional ballots, and seeking to have provisional ballots
discarded. And we will see electronic vote counts wildly out of step
with the most recent polls, although not with exit polls -- which we
will be denied any access to unless they have been "adjusted" to
match the official counts.

Inciting your supporters to violence with racist and religious lies
about your opponent, effectively alleging treason on absolutely no
basis, should be enough, alone, to disqualify a campaign for the
presidency of the United States. Working to block voters from
registering should be enough on its own. Any of the dozens of
creative forms of vote suppression currently being used by the
Republicans should be enough. And allowing votes to be counted on
completely unverifiable machines owned and controlled by corporations
allied with your party should make the results illegitimate even if
plausible. If McCain is declared the "winner," it will not be
plausible, but at this point he has so disgraced himself and our
electoral system that he is no longer a legitimate candidate for
president regardless of what the polls (themselves fallible, but all
we've got) say just before election day. Too many people have already
been denied the opportunity to even push the buttons and have their
votes miscounted. Too much incendiary slander has been let loose. Too
much visible vote flipping has already been documented.

If Obama officially wins, McCain is likely to challenge it, charging
the Obama campaign with some of the very crimes engaged in by McCain
himself. Our reaction should be exactly the same in the event of a
McCain challenge as in the event of a McCain "victory." We should not
sit back for even a split second and wonder how it will work out. We
should not try to organize a plan on the spur of the moment to travel
to key battleground states. We should be prepared already to
immediately travel to Washington, D.C., head straight for the White
House, occupy Lafayette Square Park, the Ellipse, and surrounding
streets, block entrances, and shut the place down until Obama is
recognized as the president elect or we are guaranteed a credible
election with universal registration and hand-counted paper ballots.

We may be there for days or weeks or months. But we must be there. We
must be there by the millions. We must show each other, and the
nation, and the world that we have had enough, that we will not stand
for one more stolen election, that we will not give in to fear, lies,
theft, and intimidation. If they choose to attack our nonviolent
gathering of citizens, let them do it right in front of George W.
Bush's White House with the world's media watching. We will not back
down.

I'm not hoping it comes to this, of course. If it doesn't because the
official election results are credible and just, we should celebrate
and prepare to lobby our government for real change. But if
resistance does not develop because people are too scared and
obedient to act, then you'll still be glad you packed ahead of time,
and you might want to look into tickets to Canada.