Did Prop 8 really pass? Maybe not, says new study

<http://markcrispinmiller.com/2010/01/did-prop-8-really-pass-maybe-not-says-new-study/>

Posted by *mcm <http://markcrispinmiller.com/author/admin/>*
January 8, 2010

/*Richard Hayes Phillips, the great election analyst, has now completed his meticulous analysis of the data from the vote on Proposition 8--and he's found solid evidence that Prop 8 may not have passed after all.*/

/*Here is his report, based on the evidence compiled by Election Defense Alliance (EDA). Please read it, and send it far and wide.*/

/*This is a matter of the utmost importance. First of all, as far as gay rights are concerned, it matters greatly--and, in fact, would be a cause for jubilation--that a majority of Californians (especially in LA County) may not have been swayed by the Christian fearmongering,.*/

/*And, beyond that issue, it is a matter of the gravest civic import that this vote may not have been decided by the voters of the State of California, but covertly, and anti-democratically, by the same tight little network of theocratic operatives who've been subverting various elections nationwide, primarily through electronic means, since 2000.*/

/*Here, also, is Joan Brunwasser's hot-off-the-presses interview with the EDA's Emily Levy and Sally Castleman:*/

/*http://www.opednews.com/articles/New-Study-Asks-Was-Prop-8-by-Joan-Brunwasser-100107-88.html*/

/*This, finally, is not just about gay rights or this nation's voting system. It's about who We the People really are--and who we've all been led to think we are. Because we've largely bought the myth that the official numbers on Election Day are always accurate (and that all contradictory exit poll results are, a priori, wrong), we've also largely bought the notion that the US is split evenly between the Christianists and all the rest of us. In fact, beyond the fishy and unverifiable outcomes on Election Day (from 2000 through 2008), there is no evidence that that irrational bloc is any larger than a small, if fierce, minority--the same fringe element that beat their drums for Teri Schiavo, and that actually cast votes for Sarah Palin.*/

/*They do not represent America. (On the contrary.) We do.*/

/*We therefore need to ban all electronic voting and vote-counting, and also outlaw the participation of all private companies in our elections.*/

/*So please help spread the word.*/

/*MCM*/

/*p.s. Richard Hayes Phillips also is the author of the indispensable Witness to a Crime, his landmark audit of the vote in 18 Ohio counties in 2004. There is an excellent chance you've never even heard of it; but if you care about elections in America, you really are obliged to get a copy, and then read it: http://www.witnesstoacrime.com.*/

For Immediate Release: January 7, 2010
Contact: Emily Levy (831) 429-8946
em...@emilylevy.com

New Analysis Shows Prop 8 Election Results May Have Been Corrupted

Advocates Call For Immediate Investigation Into Whether Californians Really
Voted to Revoke Marriage Equality

Election Defense Alliance (EDA) has released a new study challenging the election results for Proposition 8, the 2008 ballot initiative that ended marriage equality in California through a constitutional amendment. Renowned election fraud investigator and data analyst Richard Hayes Phillips, Ph.D., best known for his investigation of Ohio's 2004 presidential election results, has now called into question yet another high-profile election. The culminating report is hosted at WasProp8Straight.org.

Data was collected through exit polls in 19 Los Angeles County precincts on Election Day, 2008. Voters leaving the polls were asked to fill out a simplified paper ballot anonymously and deposit it into a locked box; 6,326 voters did so, a sample larger than that for the entire state of California in the exit poll used by news outlets around the country to predict election outcomes.

"This poll was designed not to predict outcomes but expressly to check the accuracy of the official vote counts by comparing those results with the polling results at selected sites," explained Sally Castleman, co-founder of EDA, who led the project. "Unfortunately, in light of the well-established dangers of using computers to tabulate our votes, it becomes critically important to validate the official results. Exit polling, though inexact, is one of the few ways left to us to attempt that validation," added Jonathan Simon, another EDA co-founder.

The study reveals discrepancies between official results and exit poll results as high as 17.7%, with an average "within precinct disparity" of 7.75%, far outside the poll's margin of error. The study indicates that the vote against Proposition 8-and in favor of marriage equality-may have been vastly underreported in L.A. County. "There is no reason to assume the statewide results to be more accurate," said Judith Alter, whose group Protect California Ballots, carried out the polling in LA County, "given that the election systems used throughout the state are no less vulnerable to manipulation."

Phillips's analysis addresses four reasons the vote counts and the exit polling results could be mismatched: a basic flaw in exit poll methodology; many voters lying on the questionnaire; a non-representative sample of voters responding; or the official results being erroneous or fraudulent. He then thoroughly addresses the first three, leaving only erroneous or fraudulent results to account for the remaining outcome-altering discrepancy.

Election integrity advocates are calling for an investigation by the Secretary of State's office. The public can write letters of support and read the exit poll analysis at www.WasProp8Straight.org.

If the investigation bears out the findings of this study, California's--indeed the nation's--marriage to electronic voting technology may be on the skids.

###