*Shades of Operation CHAOS, 1967-74.*

*MCM*

*From Dick Atlee:*

I shouldn't have been gob-smacked when I received the daily Mother Jones
notification of food-related articles. I KNOW Mother Jones is pretty
pathetic on the issue of GMOs, as well as on the current suicidal
Russia-baiting frenzy. But I honestly didn't think I'd see them combined:

https://www.motherjones.com/food/2018/03/is-russia-using-the
-gmo-debate-to-troll-americans/

It is the exact analog of what I had to go through in the 50s-60s, of being
called a Communist because I was part of the peace movement, and the
Russians kept talking about Peace. Now it's the Russian-related press
talking negatively about GMOs, while the all-knowing American press's
articles are overwhelmingly positive -- so it's obvious the Russians are
trying to manipulate us poor Americans in yet another arena.

And again, as with the 2016 Russian-meddling "intelligence estimate," RT
and Sputnik are being trotted out as prime candidates. As we all know, the
vast majority of Americans spend most of their time glued to their monitors
and TVs, watching RT and Sputnik and being brainwashed, just as that vast
majority of Americans were brainwashed to vote for Trump.

I suppose it's going to be vaccines next. And maybe supplements?

Please feel free to forward the article reference to any GMO-interested
people who you think might need protection from those devilish Russkies.

*Dick's letter to Amy Thomson, the "journalist" who wrote that article.*

Hi, Ms. Thomson,

I read with interest your piece on allegations of a link between Russian
propaganda and growing American distrust of GMOs.

MoJo's (particularly Tom Philpott's) dismissal of GMO dangers was the
principal reason for my parting company with the magazine a number of years
ago. I've been working on the issue for quite a few years (
http://dickatlee.com/gmo), and there's a widespread understanding in the
world that GMOs and their associated pesticides are a bad deal on a broad
range of issues -- environmental, health, legal, geopolitical, and others.
The U.S. is one of the few places where public awareness of the problem has
only recently been catching up.

There is plenty of solid research on the potential and actual dangers of
GMOs (alone or due to glyphosate, dicamba, etc). However, most of this
research has been done outside the U.S. because of the well-documented
literally vicious attacks by Monsanto and other ag-chem entities on such
research and researchers. So it is no surprise that there might be much
less negative coverage of GMOs within the U.S. than outside it. Oddly, you
have chosen to focus the locus of negative coverage on the Russians, rather
than other non-U.S. sources.

For me, this is personal. I grew up in the peace movement in the 50's and
early 60's. My classmates would call me a Communist because, after all, the
Russians were always talking about peace. The exact same dynamic is in play
now and, as it did in those days, it is narrowing our society dangerously.
You can't say anything the Russians are saying without being accused of
being a Russian propagandist, or at least stooge.

The wording of the intelligence community anti-Russian statements never
involves actual public proof. It is always "Such and such is CONSISTENT
with Russian statements/behavior," just like my peace-advocating
"Communist" behavior 60 years ago was. This has spread from the
evidence-free (so far) accusations of Russian hacking of the DNC to
advocates of peace in Syria to advocates for vaccine safety, and now, with
your help, it looks like the canard is being pushed all the way to GMOs.

Before mainlining the Russians-did-it (everything) narrative, it might be
worth sitting back and looking at where the power to control the media lies
before concluding (or even implying) that anything different from what the
American media says must be Russian-related. I'm sure you're well aware of
the influence of the pharmaceutical and ag-chem industries. But look back
also at Watergate-famous Carl Bernstein's 1977 Rolling Stone exposé on how
the "intelligence community" fits into that picture:

  http://www.carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.php

and the CIA's original weaponization of the term "conspiracy theory"

  http://www.jfklancer.com/CIA.html

At the very least, it's wise to take with a grain of salt the "intelligence
community" assertions that are keeping this Russia meme afloat.

For 20 years after the fall of the USSR we lived in relative nuclear
safety, with no stupid head-butting with the Russians. We got along fine.
However, the resurgence of that insanity has returned us to hair-trigger
nuclear alert and assertions of a U.S. right to a nuclear first strike that
would in the end kill us all. Your article is just another click in that
ratchet. I hope you'll think about it in this larger context.

Thanks.

Dick Atlee