https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-13/watch-live-
president-trump-expected-announce-military-strikes-syria-tonight
<https://www.globalresearch.ca/trump-and-syria-the-worst-case-scenario-is-now-our-reality/5635749>
Trump Orders Syrian Military Strikes, 3 Waves Of Airstrikes Launched At
Various Targets
[image: Profile picture for user Tyler Durden]
<https://www.zerohedge.com/users/tyler-durden>
by Tyler Durden <https://www.zerohedge.com/users/tyler-durden>
Fri, 04/13/2018 - 21:01

*Update 5*:  Russia responds:

   - *RUSSIAN AMBASSADOR ANTONOV: U.S. ACTIONS WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES*
   - *ANTONOV ON SYRIA: `PRE-DESIGNED SCENARIO IS BEING IMPLEMENTED'*

* * *

*Update 4*:  Joint Chiefs chairman Dunford said that while the strikes
sought to minimize risk of Russian casualties, the *US did not pre-notify
Russia of the Syria strikes*.

More from Dunford:

   - "We did have some surface-to-air missile activity from the Syrian
   regime."
   - *"The US did not pre-notify Russian forces in Syria about tonight's
   kinetic activity."*
   - "Russia was alerted of Syria strikes through "deconfliction" line in
   Qatar"
   - "U.S. forces in Syria did make adjustments to force protection levels
   ahead of the combined air operations against the Syrian regime."
   - "This wave of airstrikes is over. More information will follow in the
   morning."
   - "Manned aircraft involved in Syria operation"
   - "Pentagon will brief tomorrow will more strike details"

Mattis chimed in:

   - *"We used a little over double the number of weapons this year than we
   used last year...We were very precise and proportionate, but at the same
   time, it was a heavy strike."*
   - "I am confident the Syrian regime conducted a chemical attack on
   innocent people."
   - "Right now we have no more attacks planned"

<https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/pentagon%20briefing.jpg?itok=vPsYC3jq>

<https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-13/link>

* * *

*Update 3*: at 10PM ET, Defense Secretary Mattis and Joseph Dunford, the
Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff provided the Pentagon's update, repeating
that U.S., British and and French forces struck Syrias chemical weapons
infrastructure tonight. Mattis said that "Clearly, the Assad regime did not
get the message last year. This time, our allies and we have struck harder."

Mattis adds that "I want to emphasize these strikes are directed at the
Syrian regime. In conducting these strikes, we have gone to great lengths
to avoid civilian and foreign casualties."

Then, Dunford said that the first target was a Syrian research facility,
and adds that the US selected targets that would minimize risk to innocent
civilians. He adds that attacks on multiple sites of Syria chemical weapons
infrastructure "inflicted maximum damage."

In total, Targets were specially associated with the Syrian regime's CW
program. These included:

   - Scientific research center in the greater #Damascus area.
   - Chemical weapons storage facility west of #Homs.
   - Chemical weapons equipment storage facility and command post west of
   #Homs.

The third target, which was in the vicinity of the second target, contained
both the chemical weapons equipment storage facility and an important
command post."

Meanwhile, the White House said that the US is confident the Syrian regime
was behind the chemical weapons attack, based on:

   - media sources
   - victims’ symptoms
   - videos
   - “reliable information indicating coordination between Syrian military
   officials before the attack.”

* * *

*Update 2*: Witnesses are reporting explosions heard in Damascus, including
residential areas, although the first wave of US, UK and French attacks is
allegedly targeting the following:

   - Republican Guard headquarters
   - Military airbases
   - Chemical weapon production sites

Meanwhile, Reuters adds that a total of three scientific research centers
struck in the attack.

According to media reports in addition to American ships, Tomahawk missiles
and aircraft - including B-1 bombers, leading the attacks, four British
Tornado GR4s have targeted a military facility in Homs with Storm Shadow
missiles.

While unconfirmed, Syria state TV claims that it shot down 13 missiles near
Damascus.

More details:

Pentagon: *There will be a press briefing at 10 p.m. EDT, tonight*, April
13, in the Pentagon Briefing Room on operations in Syria.

*  *  *

*Update 1:* President Trump has now confirmed that in a *combined operation
with France and UK*, a *military strike is now under way against Syria*...

*“A short time ago, I ordered the United States Armed Forces to launch
precision strikes on targets associated with the chemical weapons
capabilities of Syrian dictator, Bashar al-Assad.”*

“This massacre was a significant escalation in a pattern of chemical
weapons use by that very terrible regime.”

*“These are not the actions of a man; they are crimes of a monster
instead.”*

“The *combined American, British, and French response *to these atrocities
will integrate all instruments of our national power, military, economic,
and diplomatic.”

*“We are prepared to sustain this response until the Syrian regime stops
its use of prohibited chemical agents.”*

“In 2013, President Putin and his government promised the world that they
would guarantee the elimination of Syria’s chemical weapons.”

* “Assad’s recent attack and today’s response are the direct result of
Russia’s failure to keep that promise. *Russia must decide if it will
continue down this dark path or if it will join with civilized nations as a
force for stability and peace.”

*“The United States will be a partner and a friend, but the fate of the
region lies in the hands of its own people.”*

“Tonight, I ask all Americans to say a prayer for our noble warriors and
our allies as they carry out their missions. We pray that God will bring
comfort to those suffering in Syria.”

<https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/download%20%286%29_0.jpg?itok=UsZqpnzZ>

Theresa May has commented:

   -

   **MAY: AUTHORISED FORCES TO CONDUCT TARGETED STRIKES IN SYRIA*
   -

   *MAY: WE ARE ACTING TOGETHER WITH OUR AMERICAN & FRENCH ALLIES
   -

   *U.K.'S MAY SAYS STRIKE IS LIMITED, TARGETED
   -

   *MAY: SYRIA'S PERSISTENT PATTERN OF BEHAVIOUR MUST BE STOPPED
   -

   **MAY: ATTACKS `NOT ABOUT REGIME CHANGE' IN SYRIA*
   -

   **MAY: CAN'T ALLOW CHEMICAL WEAPONS TO BECOME NORMALISED*

Mr. Trump has threatened military action against Syria for days as
retaliation for a suspected chemical weapons attack by the forces of
President Bashar al-Assad on a Damascus suburb last week.

*  *   *

With two Tomahawk-capable destroyers in The Mediterranean Sea, and
following "highly confident" intel that Syria launched the chemical attack,
NYTimes reports that President *Trump is expected to make a statement about
Syria on Friday evening at the White House,* an administration official
said.

Additionally,  Gateway Pundit's <https://mobile.twitter.com/joshdcaplan>
Josh Caplan reports that Vice President Mike Pence was seen "'rushing back"
to his hotel in Peru amid speculation about possible U.S. military action
in Syria.

FOX News reports that President *Trump has approved military strikes on
Syria and is set to announce them within 30 minutes*.

Watch Live:

The Donald Cook and The Winston Churchill are capable of carrying up to 150
Tomahawk missiles between them (last April Trump fired 59 Tomahawks into
Syria).

<https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/USS-WINSTON-CHURCHILL-DDG-81_0.png?itok=CqWa2_wF>

As a reminder, here is the largest missile diplomacy strikes
<https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-13/visualizing-americas-cruise-missile-diplomacy>
from Washington...

<https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/chartoftheday_8907_united_states_cruise_missile_diplomacy_n.jpg?itok=6Js4SXwT>