*From Marija Stroke:*

>
> *Dear New York Voters,We have 3 ballot proposals to vote on this election.
> I have been discussing these proposals with several very wise and informed
> people whose opinion I trust, and we all agree with Manhattan Borough
> President Gale Brewer's negative opinion on Proposals 2 and 3 which makes a
> lot of sense.*
>
> *So this is what I think:*
>
> *Ballot Proposal 1: Campaign finance: I see credible pros and cons. I will
> probably vote no but I see good reasons to vote either way.*
>
> *Ballot Proposals 2 and 3: I am definitely voting "no" on both 2 and 3.
> Both these proposals weaken the community boards which are made up of
> unpaid volunteer members from the community who work to protect the
> community, for example on subway improvements, and to protect communities
> from big real estate developers building huge unwanted luxury buildings in
> the neighborhood. By creating term limits on these volunteer community
> board members, there will be less continuity and less benefit of the
> experience of working over many years on issues which face the community,
> thus a decrease in institutional memory. On the other hand, there will be
> no forced turnover of who has power among the real estate developers.
> Hence, developers would gain more power and community boards less power. *
>
> *One more thing, New Yorkers: Please remind everyone you know how
> important it is to vote in this election all the way down the ballot, not
> just for the federal government's congressional positions but also for our
> wonderful progressives who are running for the NY state legislature who
> have defeated the IDC in the primary; we still need to vote in huge numbers
> to put them in office!*
>
> *Okay, back to getting out the vote... Good luck with all your work on
> GOTV!*
>
> *Thanks!*
> *Marija*
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to Mark Crispin Miller's 
"News From Underground" newsgroup. If you'd like to donate to News From 
Underground, please visit http://markcrispinmiller.com/donate - we appreciate 
your ongoing support.

Ways to unsubscribe, 1) send a blank email to 
[email protected]. PLEASE NOTE: you must 
unsubscribe using the SAME email with which you subscribed; 2) go to 
http://groups.google.com/group/newsfromunderground and click on the 
"Unsubscribe or change membership" link in the yellow bar at the top of the 
page, then click the "Unsubscribe" button on the next page. 

For more News From Underground, visit http://markcrispinmiller.com

Reply via email to