Saturday, May 2, 2020
The feds have failed us; but we can solve some of the basic questions about
COVID-19 at the state and local level
<https://anthraxvaccine.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-feds-have-failed-us-but-we-can.html>
*by Meryl Nass*

My state has had 1156 positive COVID cases
<https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/infectious-disease/epi/airborne/coronavirus.shtml#news>,
0.1% of the population, and 30 new cases in the last day.   Twenty-two
percent of cases have been in healthcare workers
<https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/real-time-maine-coronavirus-covid-19-updates-friday-may-1-2020-morning-edition/97-59521119-89f5-47bc-9f9c-4b64c801afa0>.
New cases peaked in early April.  My county has had only 10 diagnosed
cases, though we don't know how many people who have second homes here, and
are sheltering in them, are affected.  They are not counted in our totals.

In any event, the case numbers are small enough for Department of Health
employees to do case finding, trace contacts, and maybe identify some
asymptomatic spreaders.  *Is this happening? This is the basic way public
health professionals respond to many infectious diseases, for example
tuberculosis, syphilis and hepatitis.  *

Mapping out the spread of the disease at the individual level would be
extremely useful.  *There are so many basic questions that need to be
answered, and this would help provide some answers.*  What were the risk
factors in each case?  How many people were infected through close
contact?  How many by touching infected surfaces? How many by simply
breathing the same indoor air as someone else?  Would opening windows
help?  What are our highest risk behaviors?  Does wearing a homemade mask,
never tried before, reduce cases? Are surgical masks acceptable for
healthcare workers' safety?

What treatment did each case receive, or administer to themself?  Were
vitamins, supplements, medications used? How long did the illness last?
Did early treatment prevent hospitalizations? Shorten the course? Did any
recovered cases spread the disease to others?  Is there actual evidence of
reinfection?

These data could be collected by employees with minimal training.  They
would be useful in my state, even with just 1156 cases.  But think how
valuable they would be if collected, as much as possible, throughout the
country.  Throughout the world?

Our federal experts are clearly failing us.  They present us with no safe
off ramps, except for that faraway and elusive vaccine.  (See final
paragraph for info on what happened the last time the federal government
rushed into a vaccine program for all.)*
----------------------------

Perhaps generating our own data, at the state or local level, is something
we can do, now, to help us find our way out of the maze.

The lockdown should have bought precious time, during which we could figure
out how to resupply needed medical and protective equipment, identify drugs
that were useful and plan how to obtain them in sufficient supply.  We
could have learned what countries with low death rates did right, and try
to emulate them.  We could have figured out which tests were accurate,
approved them, stopped the rest from being used, and expanded the
production of the good ones.

But these past weeks seem to have been squandered.  There is still not
enough PPE <https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/929847>, so how will there
be enough if we have a second large wave of cases? Testing is an unregulated
jungle
<https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/495772-alarm-bells-ring-over-controversial-covid-testing>
.

And instead of identifying and resolving the issue of effective drugs, our
top COVID doctor (Fauci) greenlighted a scheme to alter the endpoints of
NIAID's clinical trial of remdesivir, not just once but twice, to make the
drug appear to have a little efficacy.  Meanwhile, he railed against
hydroxychloroquine.  Subsequently, over thirty states have limited
hydroxychloroquine prescribing, most commonly restricting the drug to
severe, hospitalized cases. Yet 3 of 4 hospital systems in San Diego, for
example, are using it. Is Fauci playing us, claiming we need better data
before it can be recommended, but then refusing to fund any trials to
obtain that data
<https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/health/coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-trial/index.html>,
when
the stakes could not be higher?  And offering a nothingburger
<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/health/nih-covid-19-treatment.html>
 instead.

*Click on the link for the rest.*

--
If you appreciate News From Underground, please consider making a donation —

2) go to http://groups.google.com/group/newsfromunderground and click on the
"Unsubscribe or change membership" link in the yellow bar at the top of the
page, then click the "Unsubscribe" button on the next page.

For more News From Underground, visit http://markcrispinmiller.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "News
From Underground" group.
to newsfromunderground+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/newsfromunderground/CAGxB6W8wWKzPkY2U3kZcTNjmBdrkYfkkNKfDD3qJ_0XQZ6mXuw%40mail.gmail.com.