---------------------------------
[12] Breaking news - Stam off to Lazio?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Story breaking now and one first muted on Red Issue on Thursday is that the bust-up
between Fergie and Stam over his book - which only on Thursday Fergie was saying was
"in the past" - has now reached crisis point.

Further to that story the Sunday tabloids are saying that we are selling Stam to Lazio
for a figure close to £18m.

We have checked with our snouts who say that is does not look good - a move is likely
but, and those Stam fans can cling to this, not 100%.

Red News contacted Paddy Harverson late Saturday night as the man was deluged with
hacks. He told us: "A bid has been made for Jaap Stam to Manchester United".

Expect Sunday to be d-day and for this to be settled one way or the other in the next
few days.

---------------------------------
[11] Change your password in the Forum
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
A few of the Forum regulars have asked if it's possible to change their initial
complicated to remember password - yep is the answer.

Just go to Red News Forum users menu and change it to anything you want - hey bingo!

---------------------------------
[10] Beckenbauer: Hitfzeld stays here
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
"Ottmar Hitzfeld is staying with us; he will definitely not be going to Manchester
United.

"He has a contract with us to 2004 and I fully expect him to still be at Bayern by the
end of it.

"Manchester United are a unique club but, with it, come unique problems. Alex Ferguson
has been at Old Trafford for 15 years and has had tremendous success. How do you
follow that?

"It will be an extremely difficult job for his successor. Yes, there is a good chance
of success at United but, at the same time, it is a huge challenge.

"Obviously the job is only suitable for the best coaches in the business; and that is
why Hitzfeld is at the top of their list. But I state here and now...Ottmar stays at
Bayern."

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie: It will be an emotional day
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
'Schmeichel has made a difference already at Villa. His presence in goal is always so
important and it will be an emotional day for him.

---------------------------------
[8] Fergie: No problem dropping people
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
'Insanity is how I would describe our play at the back. It has been far too careless
and I had no problem dropping players like Jaap Stam and Gary Neville.

---------------------------------
[7] Peter: We should do better
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
'I would like to think they are the best team in Europe, but they do appear to have a
problem at the quarter-final or semi-final stage. With the combination of players they
now have, though, I feel they have a much better chance of success this season.'

---------------------------------
[6] Merson on Schmeichel
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
'Believe me, he really does fill the goal. I have been in that position in training
and lost out every time. I don't know how he does it, but it is like there is no way
past. There is no space either side of him.

'He is still as fit and agile as ever. Amazing for someone who is 37.

'Great sides need players with an aura about them.

'He is an absolutely fantastic signing and can take us on to even greater heights.'

---------------------------------
[5] Latest odds
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
>From our friends at Sporting Odds.

Click on the ad below to claim your free bets

Aston Villa     11/4

Manchester United     4/5

Draw     12/5

---------------------------------
[4] Opta stats for Villa
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
Villa first
1 Games 2
  ATTACKING
0 Goals scored 5
0.00 Ave goals per game 2.50
9% Shooting Accuracy 52%
0% Goals to shots % 19%

  PASSING
392 Passes 1214
80% Pass completion % 84%

  DEFENDING
70% Tackle success rate % 81%
0 Goals conceded 4
0.00 Ave goals conceded per game 2.00

  DISCIPLINE
19 Fouls 36
2 Yellow cards 1
0 Red cards 0

---------------------------------
[3] Fab on the new boys
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
" In Manchester, in July, everyone returned with same desire. It was
especially noticeable in the newer ones. We have a new striker who is
very good on the whole, van Nistelrooy, who scored us two goals in
ten minutes in our first match. And then Veron, the Argentinian
midfielder. I believe that we are stronger than the last year. And
even if the preparation was hard, I've rarely felt as good in myself.
Surely thanks to the long break. I even lost a little weight which is
rare for me because I usually remain constant with regards to this.
In short, ready to floor the pedal and burn! "

---------------------------------
[2] Fab - Couldn't wait to get started
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
" Sorry not to have been writing much lately but I wanted to make
100% of the holidays. It had been four years since I'd taken holidays
like that. After the World Cup, there had been maybe ten days, and
nothing more the other years. This is the reason I was not in Asia. I
had written to you from the States. Then afterwards I slipped off to
the coast for a quiet time with my pals. The only contact with
football was when I played beach-soccer. But towards the end, I
really started missing it. At the end, I was surprised to find myself
impatient to begin again. A true first. "

---------------------------------
[1] Fab - no time to waste
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2001 by tb:
" Already the second year. We just started playing the championship
again last week and I start my second season here in Manchester,
whereas it really feels as if I only arrived yesterday. Imagine that.
I was 30 years old on the 28 June. I was talking yesterday to Mika
Silvestre, who at his age may not realise it, but I was saying you
really had to make the most of the time because everything goes so
quickly. "

---------------------------------
[35] Squads for Sunday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Aston Villa team (from): Schmeichel, Delaney, Alpay, Mellberg, Staunton, Barry,
Wright, Stone, Merson, Boateng, Hendrie, Kachloul, Hadji, Ginola, Angel, Vassell,
Dublin, Samuel, Enckelman.

Man Utd team (from): Barthez, G Neville, Stam, Johnsen, Brown, Silvestre, Beckham,
Veron, Keane, Scholes, Butt, Giggs, Van Nistelrooy, Cole, Yorke, Solskjaer, Chadwick,
Carroll.

---------------------------------
[34] Fergie on Schmeichel
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"He was a great, great goalkeeper for us, there's absolutely no doubt about that. A
great goalkeeper, a marvellous personality, a winner. With big Peter back in English
football playing for Aston Villa, he will improve their chances of getting into a
European placing this year. It will be an emotional game for big Peter, but it will be
one that he wants to win so we're going to be in for a hard game down there. Aston
Villa are a tough side to play against anyway and we always have a hard game down
there."

---------------------------------
[33] Robbing Cockernees -Spurs ticket details
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United
White Hart Lane, Saturday 29 August, kick off 3pm

We will receive an allocation of approximately 3,000 tickets priced £34.00 adults and
£17.00 under 16s/over 65s in the upper section and £29.00 adults and £15.00 under
16s/over 65s. Postal applications only are now being accepted from Season Ticket
Holders only, enclosing voucher 24 (from this seasons book, duly completed), relevant
payment, sae and the following 8 match vouchers properly affixed to last season's
official voucher sheet (2000/2001): 31 (RSC Anderlecht) 32 (PSV Eindhoven) 33 (Dynamo
Kiev) 34 (Panathinaikos) 35 (Valencia) 36 (Sturm Graz) 37 (West Ham United) 38 (Bayern
Munich).

Private Box/Exec Suite and Club Class Members can also apply in the usual manner
quoting their facilities held.

All applications need to be received in the Ticket Office no later than 5pm on Friday
31st August. Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a postal ballot will be
held to determine successful applicants.

---------------------------------
[32] Utd announce euro away ticket details
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AWAY MATCHES

Wednesday 12th September v Olympiakos
Tuesday 25th September v Deportivo La Coruna
Wednesday 31st October v Lille.

In anticipation of receiving an allocation of match tickets for our first away game
versus Olympiakos, these will be made available to all club members who either wish to
make their own travel arrangements to Athens or wish to travel with the club on the
official day trip from Manchester, noting that due to time constraints this will be
the only official travel package available.

Application forms for both tickets only and travel on the day trip will be available
from the Membership Office from 9.00am on Tuesday 28th August, noting that all sales
will be on a first come first served basis.

Further details regarding our ticket allocation and information on the day trip will
be announced via all the usual channels as soon as they become available.

Match ticket availability details together with information on club travel options for
the away games versus Deportivo La Coruna and Lille will also be announced via all the
usual channels as soon as they become available.

---------------------------------
[31] Reason for all those expensive Greek flights
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
And why going out isn't too much of a problem but the return flight from Athens is so
high?

Because 10,000+ Greek students are heading to England that week to commence their
studies at English universities.

---------------------------------
[30] Great story
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'A Canadian athlete has been stripped of his medal after dropping his shorts and
mooning at spectators. Steeplechaser Daniel Blouin lost his bronze at the Canada Games
after baring his buttocks when the head judge of the Games was standing behind him.
Blouin says it was a playful reaction to taunts from fans and blames 'cultural
differences' for the reaction of the athletics authorities.

He had just completed a 3,000-metre steeplechase in London, Ontario and was
immediately sent home in disgrace. Daniel said: "I think if that happened in Quebec,
that would be OK. Something that's offensive for some isn't for others. The officials
were not laughing but everyone else was laughing."

Daniel, a student, later apologised for the gesture but organisers promptly
disqualified him for 'unsporting' behaviour.

Assistant chef de mission for the Quebec team, Louis McNulty, said Blouin "lost
control of his emotions," he told The Canadian Press.

He said: "He didn't think it would create such a commotion. He's 23 years old, he's
not a kid. He knows the rules of the games."

Lucie Blouin, Daniel's mother, said: "Quebecers, Montrealers, they do these things.
They do it spontaneously, it's normal here but in Ontario it's not normal."