RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[31] IMUSA on new No.2
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mark Longden, chairman of the Independent Manchester United Supporters Association

"If Ferguson wants him, he is obviously the man for the job.  He is vastly
experienced, judging by his track record, and a big name in the coaching world.
Having someone on board like him will, I am sure, help United attract more quality
players. Most people thought that Ferguson would bring someone in last season,
although Jim Ryan did a good job.  But he obviously wanted to take his time about it
and get the right man."

---------------------------------
[30] New transfer link
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Guardian links us with Francesco Totti for £30m.

---------------------------------
[28] Matt Holland mentions Keano again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "Roy Keane is a fabulous player and should be playing on this stage. But he isn't
here and that's the end of it. Robbie Keane was tremendous. He never gives up and he
got his reward. What has happened with the other Keane is all in the past now. It has
been difficult with everything that has gone on, but I don't believe that any team in
the World Cup has a stronger spirit than us."

---------------------------------
[27] French boss on Barthez
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Lemerre

"We still have a bit of hope, albeit small. But without Barthez, that would have been
it. Thankfully there is still an opportunity to progress to the second stage but it is
asking a lot to win 2-0. Especially when you consider we haven't scored against
Senegal or Uruguay. But the way that we performed with 10 players proves the quality
of the French team cannot be doubted. I can't criticise the players, they reacted well
to going one man down."

---------------------------------
[26] Nearly massive
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Wor Kev on Anelka

“This is a big signing, make no mistake. "

---------------------------------
[25] Deja vu
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
MEN prints Veron quotes from an interview with Argentinian TV crew this week.

“I have heard that two or three big Italian clubs are showing interest in me. But
nothing will be sorted out until after the World Cup finals.”

---------------------------------
[24] Big transfer deals
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
expected after the World Cup. Amongst deals expected - many without any Utd interest
Ronaldo to leave Inter
Batistuta to move to Juve?
Rivaldo to Lazio?
Mendieta to Barca?

---------------------------------
[23] Barthez - man of the match
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It was not just about me. We played most of the match with 10 men and I was proud of
all my team-mates who showed such great camaraderie. Now the Denmark game is our last
chance."

---------------------------------
[22] Praise for Barthez
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Vieira on the last gasp save by Fabien:

"In that moment Fabien showed he is the greatest keeper in the world. When the player
went through, I knew he could have been about to send us home. It was a bad moment but
Fabien did his job."

---------------------------------
[21] Veron on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"David is England's best player.  So much has been written and spoken of him but David
makes passes which split the defence and then there's his ability from dead-ball
situations. As for Michael Owen, he was outstanding at 18 and he could have taken his
pick of any club in the world.  It is normally impossible to improve on being
exceptional - but he has.  I also like Kieron Dyer. He reminds me of Osvaldo Ardiles
as he floats around quite harmlessly but then comes in with a killer blow."

---------------------------------
[20] Veron wants the win
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The Argentine players, with all our heart and soul, want to beat England. I am sure
the English will feel the same but sometimes in such a Herculean struggle, an outside
body can influence the outcome - as in France 98. Neither team went on to win in
France, which we both want to correct. But football won that night - not only
Argentina. God, once again, will decide this match. And I believe that we will win it.
We are in a rich vein of form and it is obviously gratifying that people across the
world show respect to the Argentina team by making us favourites to win the
tournament. The players and the coaches take confidence from this. When any team is
playing well and sustains that level of play over a long period, the confidence levels
are high.  But we all realise that in order to sustain our position, a huge degree of
hard work and humility must accompany what has been achieved to date. And believe me
our coach Marcelo Bielsa would immediately come down very hard on all of!
 us if any signs of complacency were to begin to creep into our thinking."

---------------------------------
[19] Sven wonders if Becks can keep it up for 90
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't worry he won't last 90 minutes as we can't do anything about it. We will have
to see how things look during the game and how things are in the second half. I hope
he's fit enough to handle a big game like this and can stay calm. I'm sure he can.
He's the captain and you expect a lot of him. He's going to start - only the game will
tell us whether he can finish."

---------------------------------
[18] Simeone talks United
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I respect  Beckham and what he said. But I like fair play. So, why don't we think of
playing a simple football match? Let's talk about football. I don't want to talk about
Beckham any more.  England are accustomed to taking advantages of free-kicks. They
have a great aerial game. The most dangerous things they possess are their high balls,
throw-ins and corners. But they also have three very important players in Paul
Scholes, David Beckham and Michael Owen. Scholes is always trying to surprise rivals,
reach the opposition area and look for goals. Beckham owns a great shot and Owen is a
very fast and dangerous striker. England are a competitive team. "

---------------------------------
[17] More background info
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From BBConline

'Queiroz was the manager of South Africa until March of this year, having been
appointed in the summer of 2000.  He succeeded in guiding Bafana Bafana to the World
Cup finals in Japan and South Korea.  But his side were then disappointingly knocked
out of the African Nations Cup in the quarter-finals by the hosts Mali. He found
himself under increasing pressure, which reached a climax when South Africa's
technical director Jomo Sono took it upon himself to select the team for the first of
the World Cup warm-up matches.  The manager swiftly resigned and in March of this year
after a record of nine wins, seven draws and five losses. '

---------------------------------
[16] More from da new main man
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Queiroz

"He (Ferguson) has put his trust in me after a long search.  It will be a privilege to
work at the club, and with a man who is one of the world's leading managers."

---------------------------------
[15] An Argentinian glad to see Beckham playing again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Aldo Duscher of Coruna

"I relaxed when I saw him out on the pitch. I didn't want the English to blame not
winning the World Cup on me. As a football fan and a professional, I'm delighted he's
now playing even though he was not at his best in the game against Sweden. Personally
I want him to be picked to play and then to make it through the game without getting
injured. I just hope it's a simple football match that turns out to be one of the best
of the World Cup.  May the best team win - hopefully Argentina. I'm not going to shy
away from saying that the worst thing with the injury incident was the way I was
treated as a result. I was unfairly attacked and people brought out things that had
nothing to do with the game"

---------------------------------
[14] Transfer deal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Telegraph

'The European Commission have finally ended their investigation into transfers
recognising that football has a special status under EU employment law. Maurice
Watkins, the Manchester United director who was involved in the negotiations, said:
"We always argued that EU must recognise that we need to maintain the stability of
contracts."

---------------------------------
[13] 5-a-side tourny
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
EUROWORLD TRAVEL
FORMALLY AMBASSADOR TRAVEL

SECOND ANNUAL
MANCHESTER UNITED SUPPORTERS
5 A'SIDE FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT
BLACKPOOL 6 JULY 2002

For further details please contact us on
Tel - 0870 330 0400
Fax - 0870 330 1007
e'mail - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[12] Ex-Red quits
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Steve Coppell has resigned as Brentford manager.

---------------------------------
[11] Sought by big clubs
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Carlos Queiroz turned down Sporting Lisbon not so long ago to stay as SA boss

"I've got such a huge responsibility. I'm involved in a project which is so big that
it would be against all ethical values to leave and say goodbye to the South African
authorities. My commitments force me to take this position. It's not easy to use your
heart and head. I hope to get another chance one day and win a championship in
Portugal. It's very good to know that I could be useful to Sporting."

card payment, ordering online from wherever you live in the world, getting the mag to
your door.

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to a UK address click on

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to an address in the rest of the world click on

And those philanthropists out there can help with our costs by making an online
donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit helps with the
costs of the site - thanks. click on.

---------------------------------
[9] More quotes from Carlos Queiroz
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
when he left South Africa, because of overt influence from new SA technical director
Jomo Sono

"In our first session together, when Sono was introduced to me as the technical
director to work jointly with me, he said that as long as he was part of the team,
nobody would stick a knife in my shoulder. But Sono was given so much power that in
the end I concluded the man himself was the knife I find in my shoulder. When you
arrive at work and find somebody sitting at your desk, what do you do? I chose to step
aside. As I have said all along, nowhere in the world do you find the head coach not
solely responsible for selecting the team."

---------------------------------
[8] Praise for the new boy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Paddy Harverson:

“Sir Alex has admired the achievements of Carlos for some time and it was his
initiative which enabled us to bring such a highly-regarded coach to Old Trafford
after he heard that he had stepped down as South Africa’s national coach.”

---------------------------------
[7] Jimmy Ryan moves
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
To the United Youth Academy.

---------------------------------
[6] city finally get their massive man
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Anelka has landed

Wor Kev

“It’s a fantastic signing for us. He’s a quality player and we’re lucky to have him.
I’m surprised Liverpool let him go.”

---------------------------------
[5] You won't like me when I'm angry
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Carlos Queiroz when he left as South Africa manager and rumours of alleged racism were
made in the press

"I don't know where this sort of serious claim came from and I obviously deny it.
"I've been accused of being racist, but for two years I worked with blacks, whites and
indians. I'm returning to Portugal hurt and with an empty feeling inside. I now want
to work for a club in Portugal. What happened between me and the South African
federation is past. I don't intend to reopen a closed book. South Africa's preparation
for the World Cup should have started yesterday because tomorrow is too late.  I
needed time but it wasn't given to me. I'm sorry about how it finished up and the
responsibility is mine - but at least we qualified for the World Cup, which was an
important task. Most of the players were in clubs abroad. During the qualifiers they
usually arrived in Johannesburg on Wednesday night or Thursday morning to play on
Saturday, which is inadmissable. My future lies with a project with the potential for
success."

---------------------------------
[4] More betting promotions
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Friday 7th June - Argentina v England

Full English

If England score in both halves, we’ll refund all losing 1st Goalscorer bets

Max refund per client is £100. Applies to bets placed between 12.30 6th June and 12.30
7th June. Terms & Conditions apply.
Bet Now:  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

Saturday 8th June - Italy v Croatia

Espresso

If a goal is scored in the first 10 minutes, we’ll refund all losing Correct Score bets

Max Refund per client is £100. Applies to bets placed between 12.30 7th June and 10.00
8th June. Terms & Conditions apply.
Bet Now:  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

Sunday 9th June - Japan v Russia

Vodka Shot

The first goal scored from outside the area will be settled as a 1st Goalscorer WINNER
(regardless of whether it is the 1st,2nd, 3rd goal etc)

Max Stake per client is £100. Applies to bets placed between 10.00 8th June and 12.30
9th June. Terms & Conditions apply.
Bet Now:  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

---------------------------------
[3] Red News summer offer
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Red News published 9 issues last season, of which we have limited stocks of 8 still
available. As a special offer you can purchase ALL eight issues together with a FREE
copy of Red News' book celebrating the Nou Camp triumph in 1999 - European Glory - all
for the bargain price of just £13.50 including postage and packing. This is a must
have offer so go on!

8 issues + book for £13.50 inc p&p in the UK
8 issues + book for £16 inc p&p in Europe and rest of the world.

Send your order by cheque, made payable to Red News, to Red News, P.O.Box 176,
Manchester, M16 8LG or you can now order by credit card. click on

---------------------------------
[2] More on our New No.2
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Expect some more coaching arrivals too, and arrivals in other departments on the
football side of things, though with no demotions and sackings involved.

Below from onefootball.com

'Queiroz, an ex-Fifa coaching instructor with experience in football development and
administration in the USA, was "donated" to South Africa as a make-good after the
controversy around their failed bid to host the 2006 World Cup. He left the post in
March, though, after repeated rows with technical director Jono Somo following a
disappointing performance in the African Nations Cup, where South Africa were
eliminated in the quarter-finals. Queiroz, who becomes the first overseas coach at Old
Trafford, remains a popular figure in Portugal, having coached the all-conquering
national youth sides of 1989 and 1991. He was recently linked to the Benfica job.'

---------------------------------
[1] Are you in Eric in disguise?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
The official site (well done) produced some quotes of Carlos Queiroz...like his views
on football...

"Elephants are mystical to me. They can be gentle, patient and calm. Yet when provoked
they can move with amazing swiftness. My statues show how different people have
different perceptions of the elephant."

"Football is an art for me - you should think about magic, inspiration, motivation,
challenge, fantasy. It's something that you can develop, as long as there is the human
talent. The most important thing is magic, hard work, patience and a long-term view,
giving time to players to grow up. We cannot walk unless we fall down several times."

"When the coach and players start to show one attitude, then the fans, the supporters
and press will follow. If you are not in on the goal, you can move aside. We are not
taking you with us."

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.